    vpprepop.exe - corrupt file
    i get lots of these
    thanks

    Jimmy, Oct 18, 2005

  2. Jimmy

    PC Guest

    Jimmy

    From what I can find vpprepop.exe is part of AOL 9. (commonly know as AO
    Hell!)

    The possibilities that come to mind are:

    1 AOL has crapped itself. Remove & reinstall though many would suggest
    formating your hard drive & reinstalling your Operating Sytem as the only
    'realistic' fix for AOL problems.

    2 Your hard drive is dying. Go to your hard drive manufacturers website and
    download their 'diagnostic' program. This will give you a reliable
    assessement of your drives health.

    3 You have Virus / Spyware. Update your AntiVirus, download, intall, update
    & scan with Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spywareblaster and (with
    guidance) HiJackThis. You can Google for them on the Web, all are free.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Oct 18, 2005

  3. Jimmy

    Jimmy Guest

    yes its not only aol
    i get prefetch corrupted files
    i want to know how to delete them
    how do i shell to safe mode
    i try everything i can thing of
    f8 doesnt work
    msconfig doesnt work
    when ever the computer boots it goes into scandisk
    thanks

    Jimmy, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Jimmy

    PC Guest

    snip

    Jimmy

    The corrupt files are a symptom not the cause.
    Deleting them will not fix or prevent them coming back.
    I would wager this sort of fault is often because of a dying hard drive.

    So you have to find the cause.

    All I can say is check your hard drive first.
    Going into Scandisk at every boot is not a good sign.
    F8 & msconfig not working can be Virus/Spyware related, but combined with
    the scandisk symptom tells me 'hard drive'.

    The hard drive test is run from floppy so eliminates any Operating
    System/software problems and it is easy to download & run.
    All you have to do is 'run' the download which creates a boot floppy then
    restart the PC making sure the Bios boot options are set to boot from floppy
    first.
    What brand of hard drive ?
    For example Segate: http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html and
    choose the 'SeaTools Desktop' option.

    'Then' if the hard disk is OK, clear windows temp folders, browser caches
    and run HiJackThis & post the log to 'alt.privacy.spyware'
    Where you will get more focused guidance on removing virus/spyware.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Oct 19, 2005
  5. Jimmy

    PC Guest

    Jimmy

    If you can get a copy of this CD.

    http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/

    It has the diagnostic tools from most of the hard drive manufacturers on it.

    All you have to do is boot from it and press the appropriate keys.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Oct 19, 2005
  6. Jimmy

    10_4 Guest

    Hold down the SHIFT key after POST and this should get you into SAFE MODE.

    Good luck!

    10_4, Oct 19, 2005
  7. Jimmy

    Ben Myers Guest

    Please repost with more information, including the operating
    system of the affected computer and whether you have tried
    tapping the F8 key repeatedly during bootup.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Oct 19, 2005