    I'll watch eBay for a older version of CorelDRAW that runs on Windows
    7. Like many programs, X7 includes many features that have no use to
    some buyers, and the older versions have the basic functions.

    Tony Cooper, May 3, 2014

  2. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    Corel Marketing still has some weird concepts. The Bar Association
    wanted to have a Corel training program for legal secretaries, at a time
    when many of the newer secretaries has received training in Word only,
    Corel wanted a ridiculous price for use of some training material and
    license fees for the program. MS at the same time was offering: free use
    of laptops, a MS speaker and all necessary materials, plus refreshments.
    I would have thought they learned their lesson.

    PeterN, May 3, 2014

  3. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On 5/2/2014 9:48 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    : > Corel is now offering a subscription deal for CorelDraw Graphics Suite
    : > X7. X7 includes CorelDRAW, Corel Photo-Paint, and a few other minor
    : > apps. The full version sells for $499, but they offer a subscription
    : > for $24.95 a month on a monthly basis or $198.50 for an annual
    : > subscription paid in advance.
    : >
    : > You have to wonder about the Marketing people at Corel. They want to
    : > rent a $500 program for $200 a year, and they think that's a good
    : > deal?
    : >
    :
    : Corel Marketing still has some weird concepts. The Bar Association
    : wanted to have a Corel training program for legal secretaries, at
    : a time when many of the newer secretaries has received training in
    : Word only, Corel wanted a ridiculous price for use of some training
    : material and license fees for the program. MS at the same time was
    : offering: free use of laptops, a MS speaker and all necessary
    : materials, plus refreshments. I would have thought they learned
    : their lesson.

    Maybe Corel just can't afford to cater to potential customers the way
    Microsoft can.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 5, 2014
  4. Tony Cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : >On Sat, 03 May 2014 11:17:43 -0400, PeterN <>
    : >wrote:
    : >: On 5/2/2014 9:48 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
    : >: > Corel is now offering a subscription deal for CorelDraw Graphics Suite
    : >: > X7. X7 includes CorelDRAW, Corel Photo-Paint, and a few other minor
    : >: > apps. The full version sells for $499, but they offer a subscription
    : >: > for $24.95 a month on a monthly basis or $198.50 for an annual
    : >: > subscription paid in advance.
    : >: >
    : >:
    : >: Corel Marketing still has some weird concepts. The Bar Association
    : >: wanted to have a Corel training program for legal secretaries, at
    : >: a time when many of the newer secretaries has received training in
    : >: Word only, Corel wanted a ridiculous price for use of some training
    : >: material and license fees for the program. MS at the same time was
    : >: offering: free use of laptops, a MS speaker and all necessary
    : >: materials, plus refreshments. I would have thought they learned
    : >: their lesson.
    : >
    : >Maybe Corel just can't afford to cater to potential customers the way
    : >Microsoft can.
    : >
    : Even before Corel bought it, Word Perfect has always been extremely
    : stupid in these matters. There was a time when it was the stipulated
    : software for the preparation of legal documents in much of the US.
    : That was a very large slice of the market. They could have hung on to
    : it but by a combination of indolence and stupidity they let MS take it
    : away from them in almost one piece.

    In the MS-DOS world WordPerfect was highly regarded and much more widely used
    than Word. But the first Windows version of WordPerfect was awful, while the
    first Windows version of Word was pretty good. Users switched in droves, and
    WordPerfect's goose was irreversibly cooked.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 5, 2014
  5. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I was thinking more of Adobe than Microsoft. Adobe is offering much
    more for much less with their subscription program. I'm in at $10
    month for CS6 and Lightroom5.

    I would like CorelDRAW, but have no interest in Photo-Paint. There
    are substitutes for CorelDRAW, but I used this program for several
    years and I'm adept in using it. My version became outdated, crashed,
    and would not re-install. I'll look for an older version than the
    current one.

    Tony Cooper, May 5, 2014
  6. Tony Cooper

    Guest Guest

    having a single standard printer interface (which apple had before
    microsoft did) is the correct way to do it.

    all corel had to do was update the app to use one interface which
    drastically simplifies their app. no longer did they need to write a
    driver for every printer.

    in other words, that particular item *helped* them.
    that was part of microsoft's deliberate attempt to squelch competition.

    Guest, May 5, 2014
  7. Tony Cooper

    Guest Guest

    before the mac pioneered a single printing interface and microsoft
    copying it, having a printer driver for every printer was how it was.
    all they had to do was update the app to use the windows printer api
    and they get all of the printers and with *less* work to maintain it.

    Guest, May 5, 2014
  8. Tony Cooper

    Guest Guest

    originally there was one printer, the imagewriter, but that has nothing
    to do with a single printing api.

    when other printers appeared, apps mostly 'just worked'.

    now just about any printer will work out of the box without any need to
    install anything.
    a level playing field is how it should be, but if that was their main
    advantage then the product wasn't all that good anyway.

    however, the point is that their work in supporting multiple printers
    suddenly became *easier*, giving them more resources to work on other
    parts of the app.

    Guest, May 5, 2014
  9. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    It seems to me they can't afford not to.
    Until about five years ago the graphics department at my daughter's
    place was all Corel. It is a fairly large department. After a support
    issue arose, the whole company switched to Adobe.

    PeterN, May 6, 2014
  10. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    You mean after the first sale to Novel.

    PeterN, May 6, 2014
  11. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    They fired droves of developers to save money.

    PeterN, May 6, 2014
  12. Tony Cooper

    Guest Guest

    yes, and?

    the first printer for the mac was an imagewriter, with other printers
    following, from apple and other companies.
    did i say no driver?

    after the printer driver was installed on the mac, the app could print
    to it.

    the point is that there was no modification to the app to support the
    new printer.

    on occasion there were minor issues, such as when the printer
    resolution was not an integral multiple of the graphics engine (300 ppi
    versus 72 ppi), but those were edge cases that didn't really affect all
    that many people.
    if what's built into the system doesn't support it, then it downloads
    whatever is needed without the user being burdened with the task and
    likely doesn't even know a download even happened.

    in other words, plug in the printer and it 'just works.'
    you haven't mentioned any other advantages.

    plus, it's not as big of an advantage as you make it out to be. all
    that is needed is that the app supported the printer that the user
    actually had. the rest was bloat that would never be used.
    most people don't need but a fraction of all that.
    there isn't much demand for that anymore.
    only because they had to.

    once there was a single api, they only needed one chunk of code and
    their work was pretty much done.

    there can be the occasional edge case that might need some attention
    but that's about it.

    Guest, May 6, 2014
  13. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    More than that. Just part of the list.
    Superior:
    cross referencing;
    table creation;
    more flexible object placement in documents;
    streaming formatting;
    automation with PerfectScript;
    reveal codes.

    PeterN, May 6, 2014
  14. Tony Cooper

    Mark Sieving Guest

    One feature of Wordperfect that I dearly loved and still miss is Reveal Codes. That made it extremely simple to get formatting exactly where I wantedit. With Word, you can make a formatting change in one place and then have to chase down all the other changes that happen with it. I'm generally fine with Microsoft products, but I wish they would stop trying to anticipate what I want.

    Mark Sieving, May 6, 2014
  15. Tony Cooper

    PeterN Guest

    A software publisher's manual was written with Word. Its indexing and
    TOC were highly inaccurate. This was an expensive program that
    interfaced with Auto-Cad. They approached me about how to improve the
    documentation, for a flat price. We agreed on the price, but they only
    wanted me to work from their location. For many reasons, I would not
    move. My plan was to convert the document to WordPerfect, and set up
    modules that could readily be updated, as updates were released.

    PeterN, May 6, 2014