    Could someone please verify this with a working system of either Win XP Pro
    64 or Vista 64 or Linux 54?

    TIA

    David Fumento, Oct 26, 2006

  2. The answer is simple - if the processor supports EM64T, then it will run
    x64. If you go to the Intel web site, you can verify what your processor
    supports.

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2006/01/19/81462.aspx

    So far as I know, all Core 2 Duo procs are EM64T. Core Duo, procs, OTOH, are
    NOT EM64T.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 26, 2006

  3. Thanks but there is a chipset dependency in addition to the processor
    itself. That is, it is possible to use a chipset that precludes an otherwise
    64-bit capable processor from running 64-bit code.

    This is from an email from Intel:

    David Fumento, Oct 27, 2006
  4. David Fumento

    Chris Doré Guest

    I've lost track of Intel's naming scheme (been pretty much ignoring the
    details of Intel for a year or so). Does anyone know of a site that
    summarizes Intel's CPUs?

    Thanks, Chris

    Chris Doré, Oct 27, 2006
  5. David Fumento

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Aaron Kelley, Oct 27, 2006
  6. Well, if there is, then it's yet another way that Intel is totally
    anti-transparent on 64bit.

    Personally, I'd be quite surprised if it didn't work, but it doesn't,
    ultimately, matter by the time you get to Vista. Vista will use the same
    keys for 32bit and 64bit, and you can run either.

    There _can_ be driver issues, and if Lenova doesn't have 64bit drivers, you
    wouldn't want to bet on it. OTOH, if they have 64bit drivers for that model,
    that pretty much answers it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 27, 2006
  7. It turns out that the chipsets will allow execution of 64-bit code: I
    emailed the author of the Business Week article and this is what he wrote
    back. He told me he is going to make a correction (I hate it when
    non-technical people write columns -- as in Mossberg for Wall Street Journal
    as well). The only issue is that we won't be able to address more than 4 GB
    of physical address space until Santa Rosa chipset comes out in the Spring.

    So now is the time to buy a laptop because 64 bit will definately be the way
    of the future. Good news that you can use the same key for 32 bit and 64
    bit, thus enabling people to have dual boot for those apps that don't yet
    run 64.

    You and Intel are both right. There was an editing error in that item that I
    missed; it should have said that the 945 chipset prevents Merom from taking
    full advantage of its 64-bit nature. Specifically, Merom can handle 64-bit
    instructions and has a 64-bit data path. The 945 chipset, however, can only
    handle 32-bit addressing, meaning that the Core 2 Duo/945 pairing is still
    limited to 4 GB of RAM. This will be fixed in Santa Rosa.

    Not long ago, I though the 4 GB ceiling didn't mean much on anything but
    servers but I underestimated the memory appetite of apps, especially for
    image and sound processing. Apple is currently selling 3 GB Macbook Pros and
    will surely go above 4 GB max when Santa Rosa is available.

    Steve Wildstrom Technology & You columnist

    BusinessWeek

    1200 G St NW

    Suite 1100

    Washington, DC 20005

    www.businessweek.com/technology/wildstrom.htm

    David Fumento, Oct 27, 2006
  8. Um, try intel.com ? Seriously, they're all documented on there, though not
    always in a way that makes quick comparisons easy.

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Oct 27, 2006
  9. David Fumento

    Larry Hodges Guest

    I have a new HP dv9000 notebook with a Core 2 Duo T5500. I have x64 on it
    now and it runs great, aside from not having sound.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Oct 28, 2006
  10. David Fumento

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Larry:
    You should have the Conexant audio on you're notebook. PlanetAMD64
    has x64 drivers for this chipset, they work on my Compac v2300cto running
    x64, but I haven't tried Vista x64 on it yet.

    Dennis Pack, Oct 28, 2006
  11. Larry,
    Thanks for the actual confirmation. Glad it runs great. I've reported it
    in forum.thinkpads.com . I'm picking up a Thinkpad X60 with C2D when the
    802.11n card comes out in the next week or two.

    David Fumento, Oct 29, 2006
  12. David Fumento

    Chris Doré Guest

    Yes, I could do that. However isn't there always those "geeks" out there
    that love doing summaries and comparisons? :)

    Chris Doré, Oct 30, 2006
  13. David Fumento

    Chris Doré Guest

    Thanks Aaron!. That page, and links from that page, told me pretty much all
    I wanted to know.

    Chris

    Chris Doré, Oct 30, 2006
  14. David Fumento

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Dennis, I wish I had checked here yesterday. I finally dumped x64 and went
    back to XP. I have to have sound, and I looked for three days for a
    solution. Oh well...thanks anyway. At this point, I'll wait for Vista.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Oct 31, 2006