    Vonage ATA, but no mention of why.

    So... why would this happen, and what can be done to fix it? Besides
    getting a different cordless phone?

    omni, Feb 21, 2005

  2. omni

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Do you have a wireless router? How far from the TA is the cordless base?

    Rick Merrill, Feb 21, 2005

  3. omni

    Yaser Doleh Guest

    I had a similar problem without the VOIP. In my case, everytime I used
    the cordless phone, my wireless network would die. I got a different
    brand cordless phone and the problem disapeared.

    You need to keep in mind that wireless routers and cordless phones use
    the same frequency.

    Yaser

    Yaser Doleh, Feb 21, 2005
  4. omni

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Yaser Doleh wrote:

    [snip]
    Not here (UK) they don't. Routers use the same 2.4 GHz band as other
    devices such as wireless CCTV cameras but the digital cordless phones in
    use here use frequencies somewhere in the 860 MHz band I believe. I've not
    come across a phone (or a router, or anything else for that matter) using
    5.8 GHz here.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 21, 2005
  5. omni

    Rick Merrill Guest

    The OP was using "Vonage". But you make a good point about frequency
    usage in different countries.

    Rick Merrill, Feb 21, 2005
  6. omni

    omni Guest

    The wireless router, cordless base and ATA are next to each other. I
    don't see why it should matter, since wifi is 2.4 GHz (?). Anyway, I
    can hear what the other person is saying, they can't hear my voice
    clearly.

    It's a Panasonic cordless if that makes any difference.

    omni, Feb 22, 2005
  7. omni

    Rick Merrill Guest

    It is possible for their frequency generators to interfere with one
    another - remote, but possible. Try placing them all as far apart as
    possible and test that. Also, your wireless router and Cordless base may
    be using the same frequencies (in the US) - check that!

    Rick Merrill, Feb 22, 2005
  8. omni

    Budwich Guest

    Sounds more like the AGC on the panasonic has a wider range than the VOIP
    ATA handle resulting perhaps in an overflow / underflow condition in the bit
    conversion. Does it make any difference if you adjust the volume on the set
    (not sure if volume adjusts both incoming and outgoing speech)?

    Budwich, Feb 22, 2005
  9. Vonage is available in UK. Op may in fact be in UK.

    T. Sean Weintz, Feb 24, 2005
  10. omni

    omni Guest

    This sounds the most promising explanation, because the phone works
    fine with POTS line, and a corded phone works fine with the ATA.

    Solution, get a different phone.

    omni, Feb 25, 2005
  11. omni

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    For the second time: the OP stated he was using a 5.8GHz cordless phone.
    802.11b/g/n is 2.4 GHz.

    Isaiah Beard, Mar 2, 2005
  12. omni

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    I've found that Uniden cordless phones work very well with the Vonage
    ATAs. Only problem is that thhe 5.8GHz FHSS models all come with
    answering machines which of course won't get any use under Vonage (and
    the non-answering machine units are all analog, which I would never
    use). They do have a DSS 2.4GHz basic cordless phone though, model
    DCT646, that plays well with the wifi network in my house, so you may
    want to try it.

    Isaiah Beard, Mar 2, 2005
  13. omni

    Ivor Jones Guest

    I have never heard of any cordless phone using 5.8 GHz. Can you give me a
    website of anyone selling these..? All digital cordless phones in the UK
    at least use 2.4 GHz.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 2, 2005
  14. omni

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Go to www.amazon.com

    In the search box put: 5.8 ghz

    At least that works from Malaysia, where they show us the US version of
    Amazon by default.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Mar 3, 2005
  15. omni

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/4xono

    It may be that 5.8GHz is licensed spectrum in the UK/EU, and so such
    phones might not be available there.

    Isaiah Beard, Mar 9, 2005
  16. omni

    Bob Guest

    Even phones labeled prominently as 5.8 ghz may in fact be 2.4 ghz in at
    least one direction - labels on the phone and packaging mean nothing. How
    they can get away with this, I don't know.

    Bob, May 18, 2005
  17. omni

    Bob Guest

    Oh, in case you think I'm nuts, here's proof:
    This phone is claimed to use 5.8 ghz right on VTech's website:
    http://tinyurl.com/blkxk

    However, look up the part 15 approval on the FCC's website, and it turns out
    it's on 2.4 ghz for one direction, and 5.8 ghz for the other.
    http://tinyurl.com/bwz38

    Bob, May 18, 2005
  18. omni

    R-Guy Guest

    From the manual ...

    TRANSMIT FREQUENCY
    Base: 5744.736 - 5825.952 MHz
    Handset: 2401.056 - 2482.272 MHz

    RECEIVE FREQUENCY
    Base: 2401.056 - 2482.272 MHz
    Handset: 5744.736 - 5825.952 MHz

    802.11b Channel 1 = 2412MHz
    802.11b Channel 11 = 2462MHz

    R-Guy, May 19, 2005
  19. omni

    Bob Guest

    I'm not sure who that reply is to, but it doesn't say 2.4 ghz on the box, or
    in the ad on their page.

    Bob, May 19, 2005
  20. omni

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Thanks Bob and r-guy for backing up my suggestion, but I would guess
    that the OP isn't listening!-)

    Rick Merrill, May 19, 2005