    Corbis Reinvents Accessibility to Celebrity Photography With Launch of
    OutlineLive
    http://www.creativepro.com/story/news/25488.html?cprose=daily

    Frank ess, May 11, 2007

  2. Frank ess

    Paul Furman Guest

    Sounds like their angle is low cost (low earnings) royalty free, etc.

    Paul Furman, May 11, 2007

  3. Frank ess

    j. fabian Guest

    Corbis is a stock house in the business of selling rights to
    photographs, like all other stock houses. They don't care who you are
    (unless you are really really famous), who you know, or what your
    background is. If they think they can sell your photos they will sign a
    contract with you. If they don't think they can make a profit, they
    won't bother with you.

    That being said all stock houses have their own procedures for portfolio
    review. Contact them if you think you want to do business with them.

    j f

    j. fabian, May 11, 2007
  4. Frank ess

    Frank ess Guest

    Seems like good information for any young photographers out there.
    Thank you.

    Frank ess, May 11, 2007
  5. Should a young photographer consider [shooting stock for
    Corbis, and stock in general, isn't a career. Photography
    can be a career but if you plan to make a decent living out
    of it, and you aren't a Capa or Adams or Cartier-Bresson, then
    going to RIT, Brooks, Art Center College of Design, etc. would
    be the best way. Though people do make a good living with weddings
    and portraits.

    Corbis is a big and well respected stock house. When you read
    a magazine look at the credits for the pictures, it will give
    an idea of who the big stock agencies are and who buys from them.

    Go the to the Corbis site and browse their offerings. See if
    your stuff will stand out, fit in, or get lost.

    Nicholas O. Lindan, May 11, 2007
  6. Frank ess

    Matt Clara Guest

    Someone once put the stock photo business to the 35mm group thusly: if your
    photos are truly saleable (not necessarily outstanding, mind you), consider
    that you can expect a buck a year on average per photo. Thus, if you need
    $40K a year from your stock biz, you need 40,000 saleable photos.

    Matt Clara, May 11, 2007
  7. Frank ess

    Annika1980 Guest

    I don't buy those numbers, but even if true that's just a good weekend
    with the 20D!

    Annika1980, May 12, 2007
  8. Frank ess

    PossumTrot Guest

    FYI, If I'm not mistaken Corbis is personally owned by Bill Gates, i.e., not
    a division of Micro$oft.

    PossumTrot, May 12, 2007
  9. Frank ess

    ASAAR Guest

    You too, with you know who! :)

    ASAAR, May 12, 2007
  10. Frank ess

    Matt Clara Guest

    Frankly, I don't buy those numbers, either. Still, even if it's a quarter
    of that, or one eighth that, point made.

    Matt Clara, May 12, 2007
  11. Frank ess

    Nervous Nick Guest

    "THUSLY"?

    Good lord.

    Nervous Nick, May 12, 2007
  12. Frank ess

    JennyC Guest

    JennyC, May 12, 2007
  13. Frank ess

    Alan Browne Guest

    It never ceases to amaze me how people are infatuated with celebrities.
    If one considers the "Hollywood" ilk, there are less than 10 that I
    consider to be both talented and in real life good role models. The
    rest seem to be self-indulgent prats.

    Recently, the oh-so "talented" Paris Hilton was sentenced to pokey time
    for parole violation; a parole that resulted from a DUI. Nice to see
    the judge applying an even hand.

    Of course it's this self-indulgent behaviour that tabloids love to sell.
    I just wonder about the diseased minds that like to examine the sewer
    in detail.

    Kudos to Carole Burnett for suing The Enquirer.

    Kudos to those actors and actresses that appear rarely in these rags as
    they offer no garbage for the appetites of the masses who have no life.

    Cheers!
    Alan

    PS: If Corbis make Millions off of celebrity dirt, all the power to them!

    Alan Browne, May 12, 2007
  14. Frank ess

    ASAAR Guest

    Back at'cha! :)

    ASAAR, May 12, 2007
  15. Frank ess

    Matt Clara Guest

    I guess you guys should go tell all the university profs that, 'cause
    according to them, incorrect it is not.
    And what a little girl this nervous nick is, lol.

    Matt Clara, May 12, 2007
  16. Frank ess

    ASAAR Guest

    Your conclusion it a bit off. The definition I quoted indicated
    that while many considered "thusly" to be incorrect usage, it has
    "gained some currency in educated usage". I also provided from
    another source a text sample where the usage of "thusly" is perhaps
    its only saving grace. :) If that's not enough to determine where
    I stand on the issue, I rather like the word, and saying it seems
    particularly appropriate when said by a magician as wand is waved
    with a flourish and the audience's eyes bulge and jaws drop. :)

    More, more, more: I also don't care what university professors
    think. If they abhor a word, I'll still use it when appropriate.
    Sometimes I'll use words that they've never had chances to form
    opinions, uh, on. Revealing an example from my earlier reply is
    "cruditity (mow)", where 'mow' indicates 'my own word'. I'll
    leave it to the faithful reader to fathom its definition if it
    wasn't already obvious. :)

    ASAAR, May 13, 2007
  17. Frank ess

    Nervous Nick Guest

    On May 12, 9:12 am, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:

    ....to her backside?

    I'd wager that there would be a pretty penny in it for the paparazzi
    getting photos of *that* scenario.

    Nervous Nick, May 13, 2007
  18. So does good speling! But, of course I see you misspelled in an ironic way.

    Normally we reserve speling lames for those who are smacking others
    about same.

    --
    lsmft

    Max thought the night-time burglary at the California surfing museum
    would be a safe caper, but that was before he spotted the security cop
    riding a bull mastiff, blond hair blowing in the wind, and noticed the
    blue-and-white sign wired to the cyclone fence, "Guard dude on
    doggy."6:42:42 AM

    John McWilliams, May 13, 2007
  19. Frank ess

    Nervous Nick Guest

    I donut geddit. "Spieling"? I aint gonna play dat.

    Nervous Nick, May 13, 2007
  20. Nicholas O. Lindan, May 13, 2007