    anyone on usenet.

    Mike

    BTW - Elizabeth Montgomery vs Barbara Eden? Ms Eden, hands down.

    Mike Lipphardt, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    For someone concerned about wasted bw, you sure are blowing it out...
    unsnipped at that.

    Alan Browne, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Alan Browne

    cf Guest

    To Bart,

    It will be impolite to the NG and all readers and posters, if the post
    happened to reveal the fault of poster A (for example), yet did not
    specifically address to poster A. Then it would confuse other readers and
    posters to assume that it has addressed to them personally [which it
    didn't], and the result will be that the sender will receive numerous
    irrational responses from unrelated readers and posters.

    Your notion that "Addressing a single person on a public forum is considered
    impolite" should be forced to be changed and evolved for good due to impact
    of this point.

    For your notion failed to perceive this fact of reality: The ordinary
    individuals are attached to people [and their bias perspective] instead of
    meaning of impersonal truth. Example: By failure to know who the response
    was directed to, the commoners have no interest in reading the contents.

    If there is a need to address to all people on the NG, the post will not be
    address to specific individual bearing his/her name, and the address line
    may be skipped or look something like this: 'To whom it may concerned'. I am
    sure Alan Browne would not like this, as he is interested to read only the
    post that was addressed to him specifically. He mentioned this point clearly
    in his own words: "...it never occured to you that becasue we can't even see
    who you're replying to, and to what you're replying, that we're not
    bothering to read your long, tedious top-post?"

    Therefore, I do not see the reason that the address line that fulfill the
    need of the reader concerned [rather than the poster himself] would be
    considered as impolite, as there is no element of selfishness, but
    generousity toward the interest of the other party to whom it was addressed
    to.

    Further, since I replied to many different posters, if I did not address to
    each poster by name, it would be hard for them to find out which one was a
    direct reply to their post. It also enable me to search easily the post that
    was address to the specific poster concerned. The inclusion of the address
    line leave no pretext for promoters of bottom posting to make a case against
    top posting.

    The main point of usenet netiquette is honesty [besides efficiency which the
    address line offer], which is to be honest in every posting to make clear
    the name of the person to whom the content was address to. For if the
    content was addressed to this specific person, attempting to make it look
    like it was address to everyone on the NG would not be an act of honesty.

    The action and consequence of not addressing the name of the poster it was
    supposed to, which result in inefficiency and dishonesty could not possibly
    be recommended as the rules of netiquette.

    cf, Jan 14, 2004
  4. A search for "Emily Postnews" or "RFC 1855" (which
    is quite readable for the non-technical types) will
    also be beneficial.

    George Crissman

    The greatest pleasure I know is to do a good action
    by stealth, and to have it found out by accident.
    - Charles Lamb

    George Crissman, Jan 14, 2004
  5. Alan Browne

    Chris Hoopes Guest

    Just hit CRTL-END before you type. It moves you to the bottom of the
    message.

    Chris Hoopes, Jan 21, 2004
  6. Alan Browne

    Frank ess Guest

    I have a little program called OE-Quotefix. It cures top-stuff and has a few
    other features you might like. Small, easy, free. Another set-it and
    forget-it appliance that makes life easier.

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jan 21, 2004
  7. Alan Browne

    Skip M Guest