Copyright infringement

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alfred Molon, Apr 15, 2004.

  1. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Have a look at here:
    http://www.triada-lux.ru/photo.htm

    and here:
    http://www.molon.de/galleries/Laos/LuangPrabang/index.php?page=2
    http://www.molon.de/galleries/Cambodia/AngkorWat/
    http://www.molon.de/galleries/Cambodia/AngkorThom/
    http://www.molon.de/galleries/Cambodia/OtherTemples/

    They haven't just used one or two images, but dozens. And they even
    place a copyright notice at the bottom of the site, claiming the content
    is theirs. Most likely they stole also the other images from other
    sites.

    I can easily prove that I took the images, because I'm the only one who
    has the high resolution originals. But from what I've heard there is not
    much I can do, because they are based in Russia. Apparently it's not
    even possible to shut down Russian sites with illegal children images.

    Anyway, is the situation really hopeless or is there something I can do
    (such as hiring a lawyer in Russia for instance) ?
    --

    Alfred Molon

    http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
    Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Budapest and
    Portugal

    Alfred Molon, Apr 15, 2004

  2. Alfred Molon

    Jeremy Guest

    In my other life, I do collection of business debts internationally. I can
    tell you from my own experience that the former Communist nations all have
    deplorable legal systems. You would be risking losing all the money spent
    on legal fees if you were to hire an attorney there. (Mexico isn't much
    better, either.)

    Those countries have not yet developed a mercantile legal system that is up
    to western standards. Save your money, and your sanity, by just mentally
    writing this off. You'll live longer, believe me.

    Jeremy, Apr 15, 2004

  3. Alfred Molon

    MH Guest

    As they are a licenced company (?? 0020190 ) the best way would be to
    contact the organisation that issued this licence. Contact the Russian
    Consulate asking for advice. Maybe it will help.

    MH

    MH, Apr 15, 2004
  4. Alfred Molon

    Mxsmanic Guest

    There is nothing you can do that would be cost-effective; that is, even
    if you managed to shut them down, you'd spend more money doing so than
    you would gain in damages. Of course, if your objective is to shut them
    down only, as a matter of principle, and if you can bring substantial
    resources to bear, you may succeed in doing so, eventually.

    Mxsmanic, Apr 15, 2004
  5. Alfred Molon

    EdO Guest

    Alfred:

    How in the world did you find this site - the "Home" page has no links
    that I can find. Also don't find that they are selling them but
    apparenty (?) using in some form of PR.

    The only way you can keep someone from stealing/borrowing/using your
    material posted to the net is to not post it. Of course if they are
    selling and making large sum of money from it then you might want to
    persue a legal course.

    By the way - the copyright notice at bottom of their home page is
    entirely appropiate (except that they did not pay you for use) as is the
    copyright of a magazine that hold copyright material of dozens of
    contribuitors who may or may not have been paid for them.

    Lovely images.

    Ed Oliver

    EdO, Apr 15, 2004
  6. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    They were stupid enough not to rename the images. Do a Google images
    search for "tree roots" and on page two of the results you'll find two
    identical images:

    http://images.google.com/images?q=tree+roots&start=20&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8
    &oe=UTF-8&sa=N

    Alfred Molon, Apr 15, 2004
  7. Alfred Molon

    Mark C Guest

    Isn't there a way that you can emboss your copyright across the entire photo
    in photoshop where it is somewhat transparent and allows the photo to show
    through?

    I am seriously thinking of doing this if I ever get my web site up and
    running.

    Mark

    Mark C, Apr 15, 2004
  8. Alfred Molon

    Ian Stirling Guest

    As another tack, you might consider reporting them to whoever maintains
    the .de namespace, if no other result can be gotten, as that'll
    presumably be in germany, which may have easier legal climate.

    Ian Stirling, Apr 15, 2004
  9. Alfred Molon

    Ian Stirling Guest

    Also, contact them first.
    There is always the possibility that they believe they do own the
    copyright, as the 'photographer' lied to them.

    Ian Stirling, Apr 15, 2004
  10. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Ian,

    the molon.de site is mine (see my signature below). It's the Russian
    site at http://www.triada-lux.ru/ which stole the images. I thought this
    was obvious.

    Alfred Molon, Apr 15, 2004
  11. Alfred Molon

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Sure.

    The main problem with it is that it gets in the way of seeing the photo.
    But if it is well done it can be pretty much impossible to remove.
    It creates the impression of someone who overestimates his own talent,
    IMO.

    Mxsmanic, Apr 15, 2004
  12. Alfred Molon

    Mxsmanic Guest

    I've seen photos of my own donated to other sites by third parties who
    claimed to be the copyright holders. In this case it's the person who
    donated that is the real culprit.

    Mxsmanic, Apr 15, 2004
  13. Alfred,

    I understand your frustration. You have alreday been given advices
    how to pursue the problem. I really hope you can solve it.

    But ... really ... I think it is too late. Even if you can get
    those sites and persons to stop using your pictures - the pictures
    are already out there. They are good pictures - and what is even
    more important - they are pictures that makes a nice suite on a web
    page if you are interested in Indo China. So - in short - you have
    no means whatsover to stop the pictures from being used again and
    again and again. They will turn up everywhere now.

    So (forgetting about the lawfulness and moral etc ...) it is not a
    good idea to display pictures (on the net) that you don't want to
    spread. Copyright do not protect you agains this kind of stealing.
    At least not in practice. Even if you legally have possibilities,
    you cannot pursue all the coming thieves.

    My first advice is - forget it! The damage is already done. You
    will only get bitter and waste time. It is not worth it.

    My second advice is - do not display other pictures if you want to
    keep them as yours. Or at least display them with watermarks or smaller.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Apr 15, 2004
  14. Alfred Molon

    Ian Stirling Guest

    It would have been, if I'd looked at more than the first link, sorry.

    I assumed it was just a second domain they owned.
    Ooops.

    Ian Stirling, Apr 15, 2004
  15. ----------

    Alfred,

    The only practical method of managing that on a .ru server is to find a
    "phreaky phrend" to "hack" them to pieces.

    Journalist-North, Apr 16, 2004
  16. Alfred Molon

    Webkatz Guest

    You people are idiots. This isn't the real Alfred posting. Sheeeeesh....

    Webkatz, Apr 16, 2004
  17. Alfred Molon

    a_molon_target

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Victim or predator ?

    "They haven't just used one or two images..."

    And what happens Mr Molon when someone uses only one of your images by mistake and removes it as soon as he is advised of the error ? I can tell you: you pay lawyers to harrass him and threat him for more than a year in order to get him 800 euros (!) for an image resolution 100 x 60 pixels, what a shame, for me you now you look more like a predator than a victim of copyrigtht infringements. See you on every forums you are crying like a baby for author protection.

    a_molon_target, Dec 20, 2011