    Reader 5.0 for WindowsXP. Must I buy a more expensive version of Adobe
    Acrobat?

    Thank you.

    fkissam, Dec 16, 2004

  2. fkissam

    Yddap Guest

    In
    I believe so
    http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatstd/main.html?c=us

    at only $299 ---- costs over here £ 287 t----wice as much as you pay in
    Hernia
    Mind you someone else may come up with a better ( Cheaper ) idea

    Yddap, Dec 16, 2004

  3. fkissam

    Paul - xxx Guest

    fkissam composed the following ...
    Unless you know the password ...

    Maybe try a screen grab then an OCR ..

    Paul - xxx, Dec 16, 2004
  4. fkissam

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:26:23 -0500, fkissam wrote:

    Your are not getting an email reply, Followup-To: poster
    Apparently, somehow the ownder of the document clicked a couple of the
    security items before saving the document.
    That's what the security settings are for.
    Ask the document owner/creator.
    You can't copy using Acrobat Reader, so buying the full Acrobat helps
    how? If the document author set a security feature password you won't be
    able to make any changes.

    See the many previous posts in 24HSHD asking about PDF utilities,
    sometimes a 3rd party app will allow changes.

    Me

    why?, Dec 16, 2004
  5. fkissam

    Ian Jackson Guest

    This DOES work (up to a point).

    Expand the pdf page as much as you can without the text you want to
    extract actually going off-screen. Hit the 'print screen' button.

    Now open an imaging program. Let's assume you use Microsoft Photo Editor
    (which works as well as any). Click on 'Edit' on the top menu bar, then
    'Paste as new image'. This will display the what the screen displayed.
    If possible, crop the image to show only the text which you want to see.

    Next, it is probably beneficial to sharpen the text image as much as you
    dare without overdoing it ('Effects', 'Sharpen'). Also, it may help if
    you increase the contrast.

    Now click on 'File', then 'Save as' but, before you save the file as a
    JPG, click on 'More>>' (bottom right). Ensure that you don't skimp on
    the 'JPEG Quality Factor' setting (I suggest you set to max).

    With luck, you now have a half-decent and fairly sharp image of the
    text. There is a good chance that an OCR program (one which can input a
    JPG file rather than having to do as scan) will do a fair job in
    recognising the text.

    Ian.

    Ian Jackson, Dec 20, 2004