Copying File With "Long" File Names Via Record Now Plus ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Jul 12, 2009.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Using XP.
    I use Record Now Plus to compy files to a DVD for backup.
    Works fine, but -

    Quite often I get a msg when it copies that says that it cannot copy a
    (particular) text file, or other, as the file's name is too long, and will
    skip it.

    But the name of course wasn't too long for XP to handle on my PC; just this
    copying program seems to have the problem ?

    Is there a free or inexpensive copy program that will enable the copying of
    any of my PC files irrespective of name length ?

    Not sharp with this stuff; is there something that came with XP, perhaps,
    that I might already have that will do it ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Jul 12, 2009

  2. Hello,

    CDs and DVDs use the ISO 9660 file naming system which allow only up to a
    certain file length depending on your burning software. See
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660

    Some workarounds
    1) use an external hard disk for backup rather than DVD (easiest and
    recommended)
    2) use a TrueCrypt file storage system and burn the file .. (2GB limit,
    unless using UDF but faster than (3))
    3) 7z/zip/rar all the files.. (2GB limit, unless using UDF)

    Note that the ISO file system has a limit of 2GB so you may need to use UDF.
    These are selectable when you use software like Nero Burning ROM. Other
    burning software will need to support UDF if you intend to burn files bigger
    than 2GB
    __
    Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
    Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv NTSC PAL

    Singapore Computer Service, Jul 12, 2009

  3. Robert11

    VanguardLH Guest

    Be leery of advice from a SPAMMER. They have a different agenda than
    their pretense of giving help. This one does know how to put his spam
    in a signature as evidenced by his first posts but refuses to do so now
    because he is scared of newsreaders that strip off signatures. He wants
    to ensure to shove his spam in your face.

    VanguardLH, Jul 12, 2009
  4. Robert11

    chuckcar Guest

    There is no real way to avoid running into limits of the operating system
    and file system in use. However, the directory is considered to be part of
    the name of the file, so the more levels down a file is, the shorter the
    file name can be. *Not* putting all your files in documents and
    settings\<name>\pictures\pictures and videos.. is the easiest way to avoid
    this. create a new directory/folder off of c: itself or on the desktop and
    you may find you never run into this problem again. Unless you give a file
    a name over 200 characters on a regular basis <g>.

    chuckcar, Jul 13, 2009