    be copied that has bad sectors? I am using Windows XP w/service pak
    2.
    Best, Aaron

    aaronep, Nov 30, 2008

  2. aaronep

    RickMerrill Guest

    I use ISOBUSTER - it even works for 'unfinalized' disks.

    RickMerrill, Dec 1, 2008

  3. aaronep

    AnimalMagic Guest

    Sounds great, but optical discs are not sector based, so what he wants
    is data recovery, not "sector" recovery.

    AnimalMagic, Dec 1, 2008
  4. aaronep

    PapaBear Guest

    It could just be a reading problem. I have Lite-On and LG burners. The
    Lite-On refuses to read some DVDs returning a CRC error. Why? Its reading
    software is less forgiving of errors, and it quits trying fairly soon.
    However the LG almost invariably reads those same DVD discs OK. Why? The LG
    is a slower reader and more forgiving of errors, also tries for a much
    longer time to read errors. If it fails, sometimes trying again several
    times will eventually get a good read.But if the LG absolutely fails after
    repeated attempts, I clean the disc and try again, which often works. So I
    suggest that you try those methods first. If there is no other way then
    there is specialty software such as ISOBUSTER that might work for partial
    recovery of the data.

    PapaBear, Dec 8, 2008
  5. aaronep

    Charlie+ Guest

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:18:59 -0500, RickMerrill

    I agree with Rick, and ISOBuster is by far the quickest of the repair progs
    that I have tried, also from my experience as long as the disk is not
    misreading from physical damage to the optical surface (in that case then
    repair the surface as a first) then options to multiple retry reading are
    not worth a candle and you just increase the copy time taken!
    Some progs will try to repair with a settable statistical % closeness to
    the original but they take forever per block and dont seem worth the effort
    and time for an imperfect result that is no better in playing than a repair
    under ISOBuster imho.
    Charlie+

    Charlie+, Dec 9, 2008