    Is there any software that will copy a damaged DVD? I'm not looking
    for anything that will repair the DVD, just copy it (errors and all).
    TIA

    Phisherman, Aug 7, 2006

  2. Phisherman

    Bob Guest

    DVD Fab Decrypter. IsoBuster.

    But you are still going to have dropouts if the disc is damaged.

    Amazon.com lists a bunch of disc repair kits.

    Bob, Aug 7, 2006

  3. Phisherman

    canon paora Guest

    I see DVDFab has already been suggested - I had to use a full version
    (not the free one) to get all the options.

    You could try someone else's reader/writer to extract the files - I
    have the occasional bastard dvd that can't be read (without errors) in
    one drive but read effortless by another.

    canon paora, Aug 7, 2006
  4. Phisherman

    AZ Nomad Guest

    You can't fix data that is unreadable.

    Scratches can be removed with paint polish. Otherwise, just replace it and
    quit using your DVDs to prop up the short leg of the kitchen table.

    AZ Nomad, Aug 8, 2006
  5. Phisherman

    Phisherman Guest

    I wasn't asking about a fix per se. All I want is to copy the parts
    of the DVD that are readable.
    I've tried many home remedies some better than others, but what in the
    world is "paint polish?"

    Phisherman, Aug 8, 2006
  6. Phisherman

    AZ Nomad Guest

    Paint refers to automotive paint.
    Visit an auto parts store. For <$5 you can get a tub of the stuff and
    it actually works unlike the crap sold in video/music stores. And unlike
    the crap sold in video/music stores, you'll get a lifetime supply.

    AZ Nomad, Aug 8, 2006
  7. Phisherman

    Bob Guest

    It's known as "Rubbing Compound".

    For a couple bucks more go to Amazon.com and buy a professional disk
    repair kit.

    Bob, Aug 8, 2006
  8. Phisherman

    AZ Nomad Guest

    And what you'll get is a compound that is unable to remove any scratch large
    enough to bother any working player and you'll get a supply that is only enough
    for about ten disks. However, you will get that special feeling of pride that
    comes from spending too much as the kit will run about four times the tin at
    the auto parts store.

    AZ Nomad, Aug 8, 2006
  9. Phisherman

    Bob Guest

    Use toothpaste.

    Bob, Aug 9, 2006
  10. Phisherman

    AZ Nomad Guest

    Do nothing. You'll get the same results.

    AZ Nomad, Aug 9, 2006
  11. Phisherman

    Bob Guest

    Are you saying that the only effective repair agent is automotive
    rubbing compound? I have some in the garage - I will have to try it.

    But I would still like to have one of those contraptions because they
    are not messy to use.

    --

    "One must realize that the world is a network of real and virtual
    combat zones where the stakes are high, struggle is the primary

    Bob, Aug 10, 2006
  12. Phisherman

    AZ Nomad Guest

    No. I'm saying that toothpaste is totally worthless on any scratch
    big enough to bother a player that isn't broken.

    AZ Nomad, Aug 10, 2006
  13. Phisherman

    GMAN Guest

    The main thing about these motorized cleaners is that they make sure to not
    clean the disk in the wrong direction. In other words they dont clean in a
    spira pattern and make things worse.

    GMAN, Aug 10, 2006
  14. Phisherman

    AZ Nomad Guest

    Unless you're using a green scotch pad, you won't make matters worse. The
    idea is that you're removing scratches, not introducing new ones. The best
    way is to run in a circular fashion. Rubbing only tangentally won't work as
    well.

    AZ Nomad, Aug 10, 2006
  15. Phisherman

    GMAN Guest

    You do NOT want to work any disk cleaning in a circular pattern on the disk.
    Best is to wipe from the center of the disk outwards.

    GMAN, Aug 10, 2006
  16. Phisherman

    Bob Guest

    That's good to know.

    How can you get the disc in backwards?

    Bob, Aug 11, 2006
  17. Phisherman

    forkart

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    you can use magiciso to make iso image from cd/dvd with scratches. It works great for me. you may try it out.
    http://www.magiciso.com/download.htm

    forkart, Aug 14, 2006
  18. Phisherman

    AZ Nomad Guest

    The "wrong direction" is if you scratch the disk in a tangental fashion
    I personally perfer to use rubbing compound instead of a screwdriver.

    AZ Nomad, Aug 20, 2006
  19. piotor norton, Oct 10, 2006