Copy wireless security and config from one PC to another

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi everybody,

    I have the following problem. Someone had previously install the home wifi
    connection of my boss. The PC of my boss in now too old and he had just
    baught a new one, but actually he can not connect to his wifi router.

    I know that the best solution is to reset the router, but I ask me the
    following question:

    If the configuration use wap or wep key (no mac adress protection), is it
    possible to copy the configuration from one pc to the other one, is there
    some tools (way) to do it? File restore? File transfert tool?

    Thanks for your answers

    Patrick

    Guest, Aug 8, 2007

  2. Guest

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Not only should you reset the router, but you should change from WEP
    to at least WPA. WEP is not safe. You don't mention old OS or new OS
    either or what router hardware and firmware is being used.

    Do the right thing and make sure your boss has the best security
    available.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP