"copy running-config startup-config" simultaneously

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by vstots, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. vstots

    vstots Guest

    Hei all.

    I'm trying to write a script that would change Cisco user passwords.
    After issuing the "username $user_name password $new_password" command,
    I'm copying the running-config over the startup-config, so the change
    would be written to the nvram.

    The problem is, that this script might be executed a number of times
    simultaneously, for different users.

    Should this be a problem?
    What might the consequences of executing "copy running-config
    startup-config" a number of times simultaneously be?

    Any help or directions on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    vstots, Mar 8, 2005

  2. vstots

    zukque Guest

  3. vstots

    John Smith Guest

    i've recently written a perl script to do the same thing - well it does a
    'write mem' anyway... one problem i ran into during testing was while i
    was in a router waiting for the script to execute, i kept doing a 'show
    startup' to check the last time it was written to nvram. well, since i
    was accessing it at the same time as the script was (at least at one
    point), nvram became corrupt and could no longer save the config to
    memory. I was getting a specific error each time after that when i issued
    a 'show start' or 'wr mem' but i forget what it said exactly - something
    like "out of memory in nvram" or something along those lines.
    in short, my advice to you, is to test your script on a non-production
    router. it is a documented problem when multiple 'users' are trying to
    access nvram.

    good luck. if you could, will you post back here if you
    experience the same problem.

    John Smith, Mar 8, 2005
  4. vstots

    vstots Guest

    Hi.
    Thank you both for the replies.

    I actually think I already have encountered the same problem.
    I couldn't pin-point the exact cause, but I guessed it had something to
    do with multiple-concurrent access to nvram.
    After a couple of script executions, the router would not boot anymore,
    and display an error message about not being to able to load boot image
    into memory, instead.

    By the way, when you say "it is a documented problem when multiple
    'users' are trying to
    access nvram." - where did you find it documented? I couldn't find it
    anywhere.

    Thanks.

    vstots, Mar 9, 2005
  5. vstots

    Hansang Bae Guest

    You'd get an error message saying that NVRAM is busy.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Mar 10, 2005