    or would it ne better if one disk is copying from the other continuosly(raid)

    please help thanks

    Gary

    gary, Oct 28, 2004

  2. gary

    why? Guest

    Is it just data you want to copy, rather than an restore image?
    RAID would be one way to go, another is create a data backup area and
    use cron to copy files over. Just guessing here I would be very
    surprised if there wasn't a utility available that monitors directories
    for changed files and can copy them.

    There are also several Linux backup applications.
    Did you get as far as installing the disk, creating the filesystem?
    Me

    why?, Oct 28, 2004

  3. Maybe rsync does what you want. Or schedule (cron) backup jobs to either
    copy or gzip/bzip2 your data over to the 2nd drive. You can make use of one
    of the many open source backup programs or scripts.
    Well, setting up a raid1 (mdadm) has the advantage, that your system will
    boot even in case of one drive failing (if you use the "raid-extra-boot" in
    lilo or comparable settings in grub) or at least can be easily reactivated
    from the remaining drive. However, you should not run the 2nd drive on the
    slave, rather use 2nd master to avoid speed loss. And consider, raid1 does
    not substitute a good backup - because accidently deleting stuff does it
    instantly and simultanously on both drives.
    I am using a raid1/raid0 (software, configurable per partition) setup with
    two ide drives here for more than one year, and it already survived a dying
    harddrive.

    Walter Mautner, Oct 28, 2004