Cooment on the GT8800 and a bang for the buck PC upgrade article....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Nov 5, 2007.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/$500_gaming_pc_upgrade/default.asp

    "Keep in mind that NVIDIA is producing all of the early GeForce 8800 GT
    cards for their board partners like EVGA anyway, so regardless of the
    brand of card you choose they’re all coming off the same production
    line. This includes the factory overclocked cards."

    I noticed that you can overclock "stock cards" to near the over clocked
    specs anyway and the over clocked cards have little reserve so cant be
    overclocked much if at all, so the stock ones look a better deal...

    So the Q is, why pay more for one make of 8800GT card than another?
    Things to watch for are some vendors are flogging a game with the card
    (one has Never Winter Nights 2, which I want) but the added cost does
    not justify simply buying the game off DSE.

    BTW, where is a good place on-line to get PC games are knock down prices?

    Also covers several comparisons setups based on what you want to spend....

    Of interest (to me anyway) were two things,

    1) Is the comparison when running the 8800GT with a 5200 and a 6000 AMD
    cpu, almost negligable difference...

    2) Just how well the E4300 was doing compared to the AMD 6000......yet
    its 1.8Ghz v 3000Ghz....yet the E4300 is $172 and the 6000 is
    $270....ouch....

    God I like the US component prices.....especially with their rebates!!!!

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Nov 5, 2007

  2. thingy

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi
    I recently brought an EN8600GTS silent, GPU runs at 675MHz and Memory
    at 2016MHz (1008x2) without overclocking.

    Malcolm, Nov 5, 2007

  3. thingy

    Sam Guest

    Sam, Nov 6, 2007