    that has missed it) for off camera flash. I own a flash meter and can
    establish a recommended aperture, but I would welcome a recommendation as to
    the speed to select.

    David Kershaw, Jan 13, 2005

  2. David Kershaw

    Jim Guest

    As far as connecting the flash to the camera, you need something like a
    Wein safesync available from B&H. As far as the settings, I would set
    the shutter at 1/100 sec and the aperture as given from the flash meter
    as a starter.Check the histogram for fine tuning the apertrure.

    Jim, Jan 13, 2005

  3. David Kershaw

    Crownfield Guest

    read the part vin your manual ablout shutter speed and flash.
    with studio lighting you would usdually set it
    to 1/125 or higher, as directed by your manual.

    Crownfield, Jan 14, 2005
  4. If only the manual contained information about studio lighting, sigh! That's
    why I asked the question, the manual fails to offer that information.

    David Kershaw, Jan 14, 2005
  5. David Kershaw

    Crownfield Guest

    good answer.
    usually, if the flash is the lighting, then set the shutter
    to the highest value that your camera will sync to external flash.

    if you are mixing lighting, then set the camera
    to put the available light where you want it in the exposure,
    and then set the flash to the right fill in values.

    set the shutter speed less than the sync speed,
    and the f-stop to correctly expose the available light.

    set the strobe power to match the f-stop.

    Crownfield, Jan 14, 2005
  6. Though I know all of that (thanks anyway, you did not know that have worked
    in a studio on and off for a number of years) I was not clear on the sync
    speed for the coolpix 8800. If I think about it, then any speed that fails
    to record most of the ambiant light will do with a digital camera (though
    not with a dSLR). If I set the speed to 1/250 and the f stop to the flash
    heads all should work, or am I still being thick?
    Regards David

    David Kershaw, Jan 15, 2005
  7. David Kershaw

    Crownfield Guest

    does your camera sync to 1/250 second, or to 1/125?

    try it.
    if only part of the frame is exposed,
    your shutter speed is too high.

    Crownfield, Jan 16, 2005