    build up nice lens kit, you can always upgrade the body when something new
    comes along without the expense on glass.

    John

    jriegle, Apr 24, 2004

  2. jriegle

    leo Guest

    Only you can make your own decision. If you just do snapshot kinds of
    things, the CoolPix is a better choice. If you love to do creative
    photography, and/or need to deal with difficult shooting situations, nothing
    can substitute SLRs when couple with appropriate (and expensive) lens and
    accessories.

    leo, Apr 24, 2004

  3. jriegle

    Pike Guest

    I've been considering the purchase of one of these two, or maybe the Canon
    Eos. I've downloaded sample shots from each, from Steve's digicams and
    printed them out, for close inspection. It seems to me that the actual
    pixels from the D70 are the best defined but when an 8 meg file from the
    8700 is printed to an 8x10 print it does rival the 8x10 from the D70. It
    seems like lower resolution in a larger format gives a similar result. Now
    if money were no object i'd certainly go for the D70 and then save up for
    some excellent Nikon lenses but at $800 US I'm really tempted by the 8700.
    As an avid amateur photographer I like the convenience of the 8700 and
    self-containedness of an 8x zoom , but you always want the available quality
    for one of those killer shots that might come along. Thanks for any
    creative/technical insight.

    Pike, Apr 24, 2004
  4. For me, it's the finder. I find cameras with electronic view finders
    like the 8700 very hard to use creatively - I see all these pixels
    right in my face and can't concentrate on the image. Sort of like
    shooting autofocus through a screen door - the camera keeps trying to
    focus on the screen.

    Better to use samething like the 5400 with an optical finder plus an
    LCD preview - BEST to use an SLR.

    Scott Schuckert, Apr 24, 2004
  5. jriegle

    Pike Guest

    Thank you gentlemen, for you informed and considered advice, I will stay
    with my 4-meg Minolta until I can afford a D70- my savings mount as the
    price declines?

    Pike, Apr 28, 2004