    I would also like to know if the Nikon 5700 has TTL for the flash so the
    closer you are the flash cuts back, and for a longer shot does it put out
    full power as needed.

    SteveJ, May 18, 2004

  2. SteveJ

    TheNewGuy Guest

    In doing my research on this group and through Nikon Support, Vivitar
    Support etc... I find that..

    (a) The Nikon SB-50DX will attach to the hotshoe of the 5700 with a
    $70(or so) cable for off camera use. (I like that)

    but

    (b) The 50DX is relatively expensive and I will be paying for a lot of
    features the camera does not allow me to use. And the flash does not
    run off readily available batteries (like AA) or have an AC option.

    (c) Vivitar makes a DF200 at a more reasonable price but uses a slave
    function requiring the camera's internal speedlight to trigger it.

    Is there a flash unit out there that will attach to the Nikon hotshoe
    directly? I know there are some issues with power etc. so an exact
    compatibility is important.

    Thanks

    TheNewGuy, May 18, 2004

  3. Look for an older used SB28 or 26 flash if you do not plan to upgrade
    to something requiring d-ttl or i-ttl. They work great, run off of
    AA's and out out lots of light.

    Scott Peterson

    --
    Follow your dream! Unless it's the
    one where you're at work in your

    371/578

    Scott Peterson, May 18, 2004
  4. SteveJ

    Timmy Guest

    Sorry, not a reply to your question; however, where did you locate
    that cable? I am looking for one.

    Thanks, Dave

    Timmy, May 18, 2004
  5. SteveJ

    TheNewGuy Guest

    The SC-17 cable is the one I was looking at - about $60USD should be
    available at any Nikon retailer. http://tinyurl.com/3c9y4

    TheNewGuy, May 18, 2004
  6. SteveJ

    TheNewGuy Guest

    TheNewGuy, May 18, 2004
  7. SteveJ

    SteveJ Guest

    Holy Shit , when did a flash cost more than the camera.
    Damn I will look elsewhere.

    SteveJ, May 19, 2004
  8. SteveJ

    Timmy Guest