Coolpix 5700 dead: replace or repair?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by not_a_commie, Jun 16, 2007.

  1. not_a_commie

    not_a_commie Guest

    My Nikon Coolpix 5700 died after four years of usage. Picture counter
    shows 5074, which I don't think is a huge number. Okay so it still
    works, it just looks like someone was holding their finger over the
    top half of every shot. Except instead of being dark, the majority of
    the upper half of every image is bright cyan blue with a few sprinkles
    of red. The viewfinder looks like somebody poured water on the image
    (though I'm certain the camera hasn't gotten wet.)

    I confess I was disappointed with the 5700. It takes so long to focus!
    And the way you connect the polarizer is silly. It's too big for my
    pocket but no better than many that would fit in my pocket.

    The local photo store says $192 flat rate to fix any Nikon camera,
    unless there's something drastically wrong, in which case it will be
    more. I'm not sure this camera is worth that much to me. (We won't
    state how much I was conned into paying for this camera originally,
    but it was before I was married...)

    What pocket-sized digital camera would you recommend that would use my
    512MB Compact Flash Type 1 card? Or is there an (older-model) digital
    camcorder that would use that memory card? Or is there a (used) SLR
    that uses that type of card that would be worth getting? Or is there
    some cheap way to get CP5700 repairs? Or should I scrap it all and
    order a new one?

    Thanks,
    Brannon

    not_a_commie, Jun 16, 2007

  2. not_a_commie

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    Geez, for a little more than that, you can buy a new digital camera.

    Shawn Hirn, Jun 16, 2007

  3. Nikon did recall the 5700 to replace a failed Sony CCD a year or two back.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 16, 2007
  4. not_a_commie

    Zen Diver Guest

    I don't think it was a full on recall, but you are right about them
    having trouble with the CCD in that and several other models. Nikon
    issued a notice stating that cameras affected by this CCD issue would be
    repaired free of charge. From the description it sounds like your
    camera may be suffering from this problem.

    I have a 5700 which had the problem, although it manifested itself in a
    slightly different manner, the entire picture was black. I sent it off
    direct to the Nikon service department and it came back about a month
    later working fine.

    Here's a link to the notice on NikonUSA
    http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=13688
    and on NikonEurope
    http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikoneurope_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=15856

    Worth a try, its only going to cost you postage.

    jon
    ~~~

    Zen Diver, Jun 16, 2007
  5. If you were disappointed with it anyway I can't see even considering having
    it repaired for that price.
    Compact Flash cards are pretty much going the way of the dodo bird, at least
    as far as consumer-level cameras are concerned. SD cards have become the
    standard for all practical purposes (except for Fuji and Olympus cameras),
    they're very inexpensive and are often available on sale or with good
    rebates. I certainly wouldn't advise you to choose a new camera to fit your
    old 512MB CF card. Memory card prices have come down dramatically since you
    bought that camera.

    I just bought a 2GB SD card for $9.95 after rebate! ($35.95 and a $26
    rebate, from Buy.com) There are sales and rebates similar to this all the
    time.

    If I were you I'd put it up for sale on eBay, just describe the problems as
    accurately as you can -- broken digital cameras are frequently up for sale
    on eBay and they seem to sell well.

    For a new camera, consider the Nikon Coolpix P5000 (about $350) if you want
    a very capable camera that's fairly pocketable, or the Nikon D40 ($525 and
    up with 18-55mm kit lens, online) if you want to move up to a DSLR. The D40
    is really a great little camera, I have one and I love it, and that price is
    probably less than you paid for your Coolpix 5700 four years ago. The D40 is
    somewhat bigger than your 5700 but still quite compact and lightweight for
    an SLR. And it's an incredible value for the price.

    Read this review:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Jun 16, 2007
  6. Will the D40 shoot video?

    greenthumbwannabe, Jun 16, 2007
  7. Yes, at 2 or three frames per second, and make rather a lot of acoustic
    noise at the same time.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 16, 2007
  8. No. No DSLRs can shoot video the way compact or "prosumer" digital cameras
    can, because the mirror has to swing up, the diaphragm has to stop down, the
    shutter has to open and close to make the exposure, and the mirror has to
    drop back down -- just as in film SLRs. No conventional SLR can do that 15
    or 30 times in a second, which is what it would have to do in order to shoot
    video.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Jun 17, 2007
  9. not_a_commie

    Mike Russell Guest

    If there were a market demand, they could lock the mirror in the up
    position, add logic to stream a lower rez image to the flash card, and to
    the LCD display to serve as a viewfinder during the video take.

    Mike Russell, Jun 17, 2007
  10. not_a_commie

    dj_nme Guest

    Isn't that what Olympus, Panasonic and Leica have implemented with the
    "mode 2 Live-View" on their latest DSLR cameras?

    dj_nme, Jun 17, 2007
  11. They could, but not likely at the D40's price point, and I can't believe
    there'd be market much demand for something like that anyway. There are
    still enough prosumer models available like the Panasonic FZ series et al.
    for anyone who really wants a digital camera that will shoot video too.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Jun 18, 2007
  12. not_a_commie

    Bill Funk Guest

    There are now DSLRs on the market that use a secondary sensor to
    provide live preview; it doesn't need the mirror to be locked up, and
    indeed won't work while the mirror is up. There is nothing to prevent
    this sensor from shooting video, if the sensor is capable of doing so.

    United Nations chief nuclear weapons inspector
    Mohamed ElBaradei tried to cool tensions between
    the U.S. and Iran Thursday. He said it would be
    an act of sheer madness to attack Iran over its
    refusal to freeze their nuclear program.
    So it's a go.

    Bill Funk, Jun 18, 2007
  13. That's interesting. I am not very familiar with things going on outside the
    Nikon world, but I did see some post suggesting something like that -- which
    is why I said "no conventional SLR."

    That sure sounds like an overcomplicated arrangement, though. Where's the
    secondary sensor placed?
    Yep, very possibly.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Jun 19, 2007
  14. David J Taylor, Jun 19, 2007
  15. not_a_commie

    Bill Funk Guest

    It's up by the porro mirror, in the viewfinder optical path.
    It can be seen here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse330/

    Donald Trump agreed Friday to executive produce
    a new show for Fox called Lady or a Tramp, in
    which wild party girls compete to become refined
    society ladies. He said he may or may not host
    it. They're waiting to see if Bill Clinton's
    available.

    Bill Funk, Jun 19, 2007
  16. Bill Funk wrote:
    []
    You must have missed that I gave the same reference!

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 19, 2007
  17. Ah, thanks. Very interesting.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Jun 19, 2007
  18. Neil Harrington, Jun 19, 2007
  19. not_a_commie

    Bill Funk Guest

    I missed it because it wasn't in my reader when I posted.
    Yes, you beat me by more than 2 hours!
    Congratulations! :)

    Bill Clinton agreed Monday to help Hillary
    campaign in Iowa. He's had a lot of success
    there before. This time his task is to warn
    Iowans about the dangers of the John Edwards
    health care plan and not about the presence
    of a pool table in their community.

    Bill Funk, Jun 20, 2007
  20. Bill Funk wrote:
    []
    It's surprising what difference having a permanent (e.g. ADSL or Cable)
    commection makes. I hope there's an even better diagram somewhere, but DP
    Review was where we both found it. Once would have expected something on
    the Olympus Web site describing their live view. Checking.... Not as
    good, but interesting:

    http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/products/e330/feature/index.html#a1

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 20, 2007