    know how to handle such a large capacity CF card, which did not exist
    at the time the camera came out.

    thx in advance

    rynato, Feb 12, 2007

  2. rynato

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Probably a FAT16 2GB limit. My Sandisk Extreme III 4GB cards have a
    switch that lets one set either of two Fat16 2GB ranges or 1 FAT32 4GB
    range for the cards.
    -
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf, Feb 12, 2007

  3. I never would have though to try it. The largest approved CF card for
    that camera is 160MB; on mine I start getting some funny errors when I
    try a 256MB (though it DOES seem to work.)

    Ed is probably right that you'll have FAT errors, though I wouldn't
    rule out other incompatibilities.

    Scott Schuckert, Feb 12, 2007
  4. rynato

    ray Guest

    Wikipedia tells us that the Fat16 limit is 2gb as it is normally
    implemented (can be done with 4gb, but usually isn't). So I would guess it
    is formatted Fat32 and the camera doesn't understand Fat32.

    ray, Feb 12, 2007
  5. Wilkopedia! Never believe what you read there:-(

    When the CP4500 was introduced FAT32 was the norm. Considering the CP4500 is
    out of production why would the they consider upgrading the software to
    accommodate a 2GB card?

    For snapshots a 2GB seems way over the top to me!

    CRF

    Chris Fishwick, Feb 13, 2007
  6. rynato

    ray Guest

    1) the info agrees with what I've seen from other sources.

    2) 1gb would indeed seem more than sufficient. I used a Minolta S414 for
    about two years and took every shot I ever made on one 1gb card without
    ever reformatting - they are still there.

    ray, Feb 13, 2007
  7. rynato

    Just D Guest

    "ray"
    That's very interesting. Let's see...

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/s414.html

    4.1 mpx CCD, so highest quality/resolution jpg will probably occupy ~2.5
    MBytes, correct? I'm not taking into account very busy overloaded with
    details pictures, they probably could be bigger.

    Then finally 1 gb => 1000 mb (usually counts 1000, not 1024 to trick the
    customers) / 2.5 Mb => 400 images, correct?

    "They are still there"... So you made less than 400 shots for 2 years.
    Well... In my mind it strongly depends on what you're doing with your
    camera, if you think for about an hour before you take every new shot, then
    it's fine and this speed is acceptable. There are a lot of different people
    using their camera in different ways. If I spend my time on some trip I can
    make 300-500 shots per day, sometimes even more, first of all because I like
    panoramic shots and they usually require many fragments. Maybe you remember
    the link to my panorama created from 54 different shots that I posted here.
    It's approximately 1/8 of your card. Then there are some unique or hard
    scenes that I need to play around with different parameters to get the best
    shot from many ones when I review the results on my computer, so 1 times
    2,3,4... Not so often but having a digital camera when each shot is almost
    for free it makes more sense to shoot more than to lose something important.

    So how often you use your camera and how many shots you do approximately
    every month? According to my calculations 400 / 12 / 2 => ~16 and less per
    month. Is it mostly during vacations, trips, etc.?

    Just wondering because these numbers seem terrible for me.

    Just D.

    Just D, Feb 13, 2007
  8. Sh*t meant 4GB ;-) And the CP4500 didn't have RAW !

    CRF

    Chris Fishwick, Feb 13, 2007
  9. rynato

    ray Guest

    Actually, as I recall, they were around 600kb to about 1.5mb and there
    were around 700.
    No, I don't think for an hour before every shot - usually only 15 minutes
    or so;) There were also several extenuating circumstances during that
    time. A couple of illnesses and several months taking care of my dying
    mother. The total time I used the camera was actually closer to 18 months,
    I guess than two years.
    When we're not traveling, vacationing, etc. I seldom have much time for
    taking pictures - BTW actualy numbers are about 700/18 = 39/month. I have
    posted some of the pics at my web site: www.rcarter.net.

    ray, Feb 13, 2007
  10. rynato

    Ed Ruf Guest

    To follow up on this I popped the 4GB extreme III in my old CP-990. I
    get the same Out of Memory error message after trying to format the
    full card. However, it works fine when the card is set to one of the
    2GB ranges after reformatting the card.
    -
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf, Feb 13, 2007