    looked at vantec products and a product by PC Power Cooling solutions called
    "BUSS-Cool".

    Steve

    Steve, Jul 26, 2004

  2. Steve

    DavidS Guest

    My comp used to freeze after an hour or sooner of playing any
    3D extensive game. My 9700Pro was hot as hell till I bought
    and installed VGA Arctic Silencer. Since than no problems at all.
    Instalation is really easy (I have revision 3).
    My card is Hercules 3D Prophet 9700 Pro - with copper heatsink before - not
    enough!
    9700 nad 9800 are 0.15u technology and that is why they run really hot.
    0.13u core runs much cooler.
    BTW my radeon has copper ramsinks on rams and I can hardly
    touch them ! But hot rams are no problem, as fare as you don't see visual
    artefacts.
    But hot core causes freeze.

    As I sad before I can recommend VGA Arctic Silencer.
    It runs cooler and more silent and even has 2 speed mode.
    And I read that it fits on X800 too and if you don't screw anythink
    and save your old one you can RMA it too.

    HTH

    David

    DavidS, Jul 26, 2004

  3. Steve

    DrWho Guest

    I'll second David's recommendation for the Artic Silencer Rev 3. I put
    one on my 9700 non-pro. I am now clocking the core at 375 with NO
    problems (default for the 9700np is 275).

    The cooler is easy to put on the board, and VERY quite. I don't like
    that the additional bracket (that goes in the PCI slot) is not firmly
    attached to the cooler though. When you move the card, you have to deal
    with that second bracket, which is connected to your vid card ONLY via
    the wire.

    Nonetheless, for $15, its quiet, and keeps you core VERY cool.

    DavidS said...

    DrWho, Jul 27, 2004
  4. Steve

    Steve Guest

    DrWho

    I have read somewhere in a forum or elsewhere that some versions of the
    Artic Silencer won't properly fit an ATI 9800XT. Is this true? Also, where
    can I pick up one of these Artic Silencers?

    Steve

    PS - I live in the US

    Steve, Jul 27, 2004
  5. Steve