    Processor is a AMD Athlon XP 3000+

    Thanks for any help given.

    Derek

    Derek, Jun 8, 2004

  2. What is "XFX Mach 4, NF24-ALH"

    Is that like a loaf of cheese bread?

    Global Thermonuclear War, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Many of the components on modern mobo are extremely small and microsoldered
    to the board, and replacing them without special tools is extremely
    difficult if not outright impossible--not to mention the problem of
    identifying which ones are bad in the first place. In addition, mobos are a
    sandwich of many different conducting layers, and trying to replace a
    component using conventional soldering techniques can easily damage the
    conductive traces on one or more of the inner layers. I'd say that at least
    the board is a writeoff. You might try substituting the processor into
    another board to see if it still works, but bear in mind that if it is
    shorted it may ruin the other board as well. Not worth it, I say.

    Gary G. Taylor, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Derek

    Brian Guest

    contact the shop you bought it from and call them liars.. as long as it was
    working and turning in the right direction it shouldn't short circuit the
    processor... mind you, some fans are difficult to fit to some sockets and if
    you "slipped" trying to install it then it could just be that you have just
    wrecked your mainboard.....

    Brian, Jun 8, 2004
  5. It's not on AMD's recommended motherboards list. If it happens again, try an
    Asus motherboard. Better yet, buy one now and save yourself the trouble of
    replacing it in the future. www.pricewatch.com

    Installing the heatsink backwards wouldn't necessarily short the CPU, it my
    physically damage it. Or if it wasn't installed correctly the CPU would
    overheat. If the CPU overheated, than you're eff'd. But the motherboard is
    probably ok. I don't think AMD would warrantee an overheated CPU (they might
    think you were overclocking).

    Global Thermonuclear War, Jun 8, 2004
  6. Derek

    philo Guest

    if you put the heatsink on backwards it will probably not lie flat against
    the cpu...
    in which case the cpu will burn out almost immediately...
    now you know what that burning smell was.

    but the good news is that it probably did not short anything out...
    so at least all the rest of your machine should still be good

    philo, Jun 8, 2004
  7. Derek

    ICee Guest

    Installing the heatsink backwards may cause the CPU to burn out due to
    heat, or it could cause the CPU die to be chipped, but it shouldn't
    short anything (although anything is possible, especially if the
    motherboard and/or power supply have no protective circuitry).
    As far as repairing anything, a motherboard is a throw away item since
    they are so (relatively) inexpensive. As suggested by others, get a
    decent name brand motherboard, like Abit, Epox, Asus, DFI.

    ICee, Jun 8, 2004
  8. Derek

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yeah - I struggled for months with that decision myself recently. I had two
    identical workstations go out at work within a week of each other. When the
    first one died, the power supply was dead. So I swapped in another power
    supply. That blew too - immediately - with smoke! So I put the companies
    "backup" computer in place, ordered a new one. Then the second computer went
    out...the new one was here, put that in place instead. I was totally unsure
    about what to do next. I didn't have spare mobos, or spare CPUs. It was
    months later before I got the courage up to buy a new ps, mobo, and (since
    the memory needed was different) RAM. Fortunately, the CPU, drives, etc.
    were all fine. But it was a risk with someone else's money...not mine <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jun 9, 2004