    the file itself; I can only line-item delete, and that would take hours.
    What can I do?

    Wordsmith :)

    Wordsmith, Oct 3, 2003

  2. Wordsmith

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Wordsmith said:
    The cookies aren't in a file, they are in a folder.
    That folder is named Cookies.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 3, 2003

  3. You can download RegSeeker 1.30 and use it to delete all the
    accumulated cookies. It can do a lot more for you, but study up
    before you start using it on the registry.

    Once you are rid of the accumulated cookies, get WinPatrol 6.0 and use
    it to control which cookies (if any) you want on your computer.

    These are both freeware programs and they work well. You can find
    them quickly with Google.

    Benjamin Racinot, Oct 3, 2003
  4. Wordsmith

    bb3 Guest

    Assuming you're using Internet Explorer, go to Tools/Internet Options,
    under the "General" tab click "Delete Cookies", then click the "Delete
    Files" button and check "Delete all offline Content". Click "Ok" for
    everything and you're done.

    bb3, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Wordsmith

    Jerry G. Guest

    The problem may not only be the cookies. It may also be the Internet cache
    files. I had one machine with over 50,000 mis-managed cache files. This
    slowed it down to the point where the software was timing out, and crashing!

    I do not know what operating system you are working with, but this would
    apply most MS Windows systems.

    You probably can fix this through the cleanup utility under the properties
    of the drive. Open My Computer, and right key-click on the drive. Select
    Properties, and then select Disk Cleanup. Work from there. You should be
    able to make your way from this point.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
    Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm

    I've got almost 4000 cookies which have accumulated in my computer, and
    it's slowing everything down. I want to do an en masse erasure of all
    the cookies in the file, but it won't allow me to do that without deleting

    Jerry G., Oct 3, 2003
  6. Wordsmith

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Oct 3, 2003
  7. Wordsmith

    Wordsmith Guest

    I'm on IE 5.5. I don't see "Delete Cookies" under the "General" tab.
    The only thing I see is a "Delete Files" button. Let me be more precise:
    I want to get rid of the accumulated cookies in the "Windows" folder of
    the "C" drive. I don't wish to wipe out the "History" material. I thank
    you and all here for your help, and if I'm not making sense, forgive me!

    Duhsmith :)

    Wordsmith, Oct 3, 2003
  8. Wordsmith

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Wordsmith said:
    Can't you just select the files that are in the folder and delete them?
    Forget the dat file for the moment.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 3, 2003
  9. Wordsmith

    Buffalo Guest

    "Wordsmith" <> wrote in message
    "[snip]>
    In IE5.5, tools,internet options, settings, files . All your cookies should
    be listed there. Click on the first one, scroll down to the last one, hold
    down the Shift key and left click on the last cookie. Now release the Shift
    key, right click on the highlighted entries and select Delete.
    You should really try IE6; at least I like it better.
    Buffalo

    Buffalo, Oct 3, 2003
  10. Wordsmith

    Wordsmith Guest

    Hi, Buf. Tried it. I get a "Running a system command on this item might
    be unsafe" notice. Now what? It doesn't want to relinquish those cookies
    without a fight.

    Wordsmith :)

    Wordsmith, Oct 4, 2003
  11. Wordsmith

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Wordsmith said:
    You get that message when you click on a cookie.
    Highligh without clicking on them.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 4, 2003
  12. Wordsmith

    Wordsmith Guest

    Done it. Worked! Amazing what you can learn on these ngs. I'm still
    wrestling with "C" drive, however. Whenever I try to en masse delete
    cookies from the "Windows" file, a sign cheerily announces: "Cannot
    delete index. Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-
    protected and that the file is not currently in use".

    Wordsmith :)

    Wordsmith, Oct 4, 2003
  13. Wordsmith

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Yes, that is why I added for you to ignore the dat file.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 4, 2003