converting raw files to jpegs?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Scrukdog, Oct 28, 2004.

  1. Scrukdog

    Scrukdog Guest

    is it possible to convert a raw file to jpeg ?.

    i use c.s. and have been saving them as tiff files , there is no option to save
    as jpeg .

    i take my pictures to sams and the machine dosen't read tiff files from a disc
    ..

    i can't belive the difference between raw and large jpeg , been shooting my
    nephews high school night football games @ 16oo iso with my 10d with the 70-200
    2,8l is .
    40 mb files after converted to tiff !
    more h.d. space anyone lol.

    i could print them on my kodak 8500 dye sub ,but would like to also be able to
    print them @ sams if possible?.

    thanks
    scrukdog

    Scrukdog, Oct 28, 2004

  2. Scrukdog

    Eric Gill Guest

    (Scrukdog) wrote in m20.aol.com:
    They should be 18 meg.

    I'm willing to bet you left them in 16-bit color mode. This is why you
    cannot save them in JPEG.

    Image->Mode->8bits/Channel

    Eric Gill, Oct 28, 2004

  3. Scrukdog

    JPS Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    Should be 37MB for the 10D.
    Maybe the real reason is that Adobe made a poor decision. There would
    be nothing dangerous about saving as a JPEG, because a JPEG won't
    overwrite a TIFF! Adobe has gone too far with their kindergarten games.

    JPS, Oct 28, 2004
  4. They should only be about 18MB.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 28, 2004
  5. Wrong! 18MB.

    Randall Ainsworth, Oct 28, 2004
  6. Scrukdog

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: (Scrukdog)
    Yes. Some RAW converters let you do it direct in one step, with others you
    need to save a tiff first and then convert to jpeg.
    Save as tiff then save as jpeg ... or try the Phase One Capture One program,
    which allows you to convert directly to jpeg if it's really bugging you.
    Conversions using C1 are a bit better than Photoshop CS anyway ...
    Switch from 16 bit to 8 bit mode, it should be about 18 MB per file.

    Bill Hilton, Oct 28, 2004
  7. Scrukdog

    Mark M Guest

    RAW files don't = tiffs.
    If it's 16 bit, he's have to save it as a jpeg2000.
    Regular jpeg won't save in 16 bit mode.

    Mark M, Oct 28, 2004
  8. Scrukdog

    JPS Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    No, except some companies use the TIF format as a container. My point
    is that the only reason I can think of for Adobe to disable 8-bit format
    saves in 16 bit modes is to prevent over-writing of 16-bit files or
    data. It doesn't have to do either. The only way a file is going to
    get over-written is if you already saved it with an extension, and you
    save it again with the exact same name and path. There is no reason not
    to allow "save as Jpeg" from 16-bit (actually, 15-bit) editing mode.
    It might as well be any other format until jpeg2000 becomes standard.
    My point is that you should be able to, just like PS prints at 8 bits
    from 16-bit mode.

    Converting to 8-bit just to save a JPEG of the current state is a waste
    of time, and a destruction of the data in the 16-bit workspace. Don't
    tell me how to work around it. I have plenty of ingenuity, and don't
    need your help. I just hate wasting time and energy for no good reason.

    JPS, Oct 28, 2004
  9. Scrukdog

    Mark M Guest

    Maybe you'd appreciate this little programmable keyboard gizmo I have for my
    computer called "X-Keys." It lets you program single keys with up to 256
    keystrokes. You could program one key to...change teh mode to 8 bit...save
    as jpeg...and then revert to 16 bit mode...all with one stroke.

    I understand your annoyance. It does seem like it would be easy to provide
    a check-box in the save-as window for "Save in 8 bit mode" or something...

    Mark M, Oct 29, 2004
  10. Scrukdog

    Rick Guest

    Use the File/Save As menu function.