Converting PAL DVDs to NTSC DVDs.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Wild Coyote, Oct 22, 2004.

  1. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    I inquired about this possibility a few days ago. Below is one way.
    Since I don't want to purchase that much new software, I am trying a
    different method with NeroVision Express 2. Wish me luck.

    Converting PAL Video to NTSC (DVD)

    Preliminary Notes
    1. You can only do the movie portion of the disc. In the case of an
    episode DVD, you will need to rip each episode to its own folder).
    2. You can put about 160 minutes of video on one DVDR without a
    quality loss.
    3. Once you rip the title or movie to the hard drive, don't move any
    files unless instructed to do so.

    Software You Will Need
    1. SmartRipper v2.41
    2. DVD2AVI v1.77.3
    3. TMPGEnc v2.521.58.169
    4. TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.5.15.49
    5. DVD2One v1.4.0
    6. About 10GB of free space per hour of video

    1. Prepare Folders.
    1a. Create a folder called "dvd" (if ripping episodes, it'd be
    \episode#\dvd) and then create the following folders in \dvd\:
    a. Rip
    b. DVD2AVI
    c. Tmpgenc
    d. Vobset
    e. Final
    f. Extras

    2. Rip the Video with SmartRipper.
    2a. Launch SmartRipper and rip the DVD or desired title to \dvd\rip.
    2b. Close SmartRipper and move all files except for the vobs
    containing the video data to \dvd\extra. Also keep in mind that
    sometimes you'll end up with a "vts_*_01.vob" file that is 0 bytes.
    You can move that to the \dvd\extras folder too, as well as any other
    ..vobs that are 0 bytes.

    3. Demux the Video with DVD2AVI.
    3a. Launch DVD2AVI.
    3b. Load the titleset or DVD from \dvd\rip into DVD2AVI by clicking
    File > Open and selecting the first .VOB in the titleset and clicking
    OK. DVD2AVI should select the rest of the vobs in that titleset
    automatically. Review the list to make sure that the vobs you want
    demuxed are included, and click OK.
    3c. Press F6 to view the file info, and then press F8 to perform a
    pre-scale decision on the audio track. This ensures that you get the
    highest quality audio in the same size .wav.
    3d. Enable Audio > Output Method > Decode to WAV.
    3e. Click File > Save Project and save it to \dvd\DVD2AVI (this
    creates a .d2v and a .wav file). When it's finished, close DVD2AVI.

    4. Convert the Data to NTSC with TMPGEnc.
    4a. Open TMPGEnc.
    4b. If the wizard doesn't start automatically, click File > Project
    Wizard.
    4c. In the wizard, select DVD NTSC 16:9 if your original video is wide
    screen and DVD NTSC if it isn't. The audio should be set to CBR Linear
    PCM Audio. Click Next.
    4d. Click the Video Browse to \dvd\DVD2AVI and select the .d2v file
    created by DVD2AVI.
    4e. Click the Audio Browse and select the corresponding .wav file (it
    should also be in \dvd\DVD2AVI). Leave the selections at the bottom of
    this display alone and click Next.
    4f. Check the Clip Frame checkbox, and then in the resulting display
    frame up your video by removing black bars from all sides. Click OK,
    which brings the previous dialog back up. At this point, you can
    choose whether or not you want to increase the quality setting used by
    TMPGEnc. The default is "Motion Estimate Search (fast)" which produces
    GREAT video. If you are happy with that setting, just click Next.
    However, if you are anal about this you can change it by clicking the
    "Other Settings" button and then changing the Motion Search Precision
    setting at the bottom of the dialog to a different option, but keep in
    mind that anything higher will take twice as long or more to encode,
    and there is no real quality increase. After changing to the desired
    setting, click OK and then click Next.
    4g. The next dialog to be displayed is the bitrate Setting. Leave
    everything set to auto, and click Next.
    4h. Browse for the output file to \dvd\tmpgenc. Leave the filename as
    it is as this will correspond to the DVD2AVI files you specified
    earlier for the project. Click save, and then click OK. Encoding will
    proceed (this usually takes 1. 5 minutes for every minute of video).
    When it's finished, you will have a beautiful NTSC 29. 97 fps .m2v
    video file and a corresponding re-encoded .wav file. Close TMPGEnc.
    4i. At this point, you can delete the files in \dvd\rip, \dvd\extras
    and \dvd\dvd2avi\ if you're running low on hard drive space.
    NOTE: If the total of all of your resulting .m2v files (in
    \dvd\tmpgenc\) is over 9. 75GB, you've got too much video for one
    disc. You'll need to then start the process again eliminating video
    from somewhere (figure about 62MB for each minute of video) to bring
    that down to 9.75GB or lower.

    5. Author and Create the DVD Vobset.
    5a. Open TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDVDA).
    5b. Click Create New Project.
    5c. Click Add File and browse to the m2v file in \dvd\tmpgenc. Select
    the title and click OK.
    5d. TDVDA will scan the video and then display the Add Clip dialog,
    where you can set your chapter points by clicking Chapter Cut Edit (if
    you want chapters). After doing that, click OK (do NOT enable the
    audio re-encoding option). Click OK.
    5e. Rename the track by clicking the Settings button on that track on
    the left side of TDVDA (in the chapter list). Do not change any of the
    settings there except for the name. Click OK.
    5f. After adding all tracks (movies will only have one and episode
    discs will have several), click the Create Menu dialog and create your
    menu. If it's a movie, I usually choose No Menu from the dropdown.
    5g. Click the Output button and specify the output to go to
    \dvd\vobset. Click Begin Output and just OK through all of the errors
    telling you that it's too big or that it's going to be a nonstandard
    DVD. The encoding process will start. When it's finished, close TDVDA.
    5h. At this point, you can delete the files in \dvd\tmpgenc\ if you're
    running low on hard drive space.

    6. Compress and Process the Video.
    6a. Launch DVD2One and press the Select button for Source. Browse to
    \dvd\vobset and click OK.
    6b. Press the Select button for Destination and browse to \dvd\final.
    6c. Make sure Copy Mode is set to Full Disc, and the Compression Mode
    is set to Variable Ratio. Click next.
    6d. Choose which audio tracks you want to include. I would recommend
    only choosing one; multiple audio tracks are OK, but at the (high)
    cost of video quality. Also, if you specified in TDVDA "no menu," then
    you can only choose one. Click Start.
    6e. At this point, it will process and compress your vobset to ~4.
    25GB, which you can burn to DVD using any DVD-Burning application (I
    use Nero 6 Ultra). Congrats! You now have an NTSC DVD!
    6f. At this point, you can delete all files except for \dvd\final\ if
    you're running low on hard drive space, and then burn the data in
    \dvd\final\ to the \video_ts\ folder on your DVDR.

    Wild Coyote, Oct 22, 2004

  2. Wild Coyote

    Owl Jolson Guest

    Wouldn't it be simpler to just use DVDShrink? It's supposed to rip 'any'
    region dvd and make it region free. It sure does a bang-up job on the
    reigon 1 dvd's that I rip.

    Owl Jolson, Oct 22, 2004

  3. Wild Coyote

    Justin Guest

    Owl Jolson wrote on [Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:27:48 -0500]:
    DVDShrink doesn't convert from PAL to NTSC
    READ THE QUESTION.

    Justin, Oct 22, 2004
  4. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    NERO worked, but now I have a different title structure. But, it
    worked. It took it about 1 hour to rip then build new titles and then
    4 hours to convert to NTSC. I am sure I could do a better job next
    time, but oh well. It works.

    Thank you, many people get region and format confused.

    Wild Coyote, Oct 22, 2004
  5. So, how did the audio come out. Can you do the same in reverse: NTSC to
    PAL?

    Usually PAL audio tracks are sped up a bit when converted to NTSC, that
    is'nt the case with this?

    Bernie Woodham, Oct 23, 2004
  6. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    Didn't seem to be, but the audio was not separate (And I am getting
    way over my head here.)

    Wild Coyote, Oct 23, 2004
  7. Wild Coyote

    Nic Guest

    Audio has to have the frame rate adjusted. This can be done using the AC3
    file in Besweet/AC3Machine.

    Nic, Oct 23, 2004
  8. Thanks. I'll have to look into that.

    Bernie Woodham, Oct 23, 2004
  9. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    Nero adjusted the audio just fine. Played great.

    Wild Coyote, Oct 26, 2004
  10. Wild Coyote

    Shinner Guest

    What version Nero are you using. Have a few PAL DVDs from region 2 that I
    wouldn't mind converting. Only way I can currently play them is through the
    kid's xbox and it's been acting up lately. Would rather do a conversion,
    chuck it in the DVD changer and forget about it.

    Shinner, Oct 26, 2004
  11. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    Nero version 6, I had to use Nero Vision Express. I think if I had
    time I would have been able to do a better job on the chapters, but it
    works.

    It was going back the next day.

    Wild Coyote, Oct 26, 2004
  12. Wild Coyote

    Shinner Guest

    thanks....same version I have, will have to try it out some time.

    Shinner, Oct 26, 2004
  13. Wild Coyote

    Biz Guest

    Going back?

    if you didnt own it, why are you copying it?

    Biz, Oct 26, 2004
  14. Wild Coyote

    Wild Coyote Guest

    To see if I could. As soon as NTSC comes out, I will buy it. I own
    all 2,250 DVDs. No copies, no bootlegs. I destroyed the one I made.

    --
    "Everyone mark this one down...the Coyote did good."

    Chuck

    Wild Coyote
    wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

    Wild Coyote, Oct 27, 2004