    Can anyone recommend a method to do this with built in Windows tools
    or a good free downloadable tool?

    Thanks

    Hall, May 13, 2007

  2. Hall

    Frank ess Guest

    easy

    http://www.irfanview.net/

    Frank ess, May 13, 2007

  3. : I have hundreds of very large jpeg photo files (3-6MB each) and I want
    : to convert them to a smaller resolution (say under 500KB each.

    : Can anyone recommend a method to do this with built in Windows tools
    : or a good free downloadable tool?

    : Thanks

    There are several "editors" that can do what you want. Some will even do
    it as a batch command so one running of the command will reduce the
    images. But be aware, if you make the changes to reduce the storage space
    for the images you are either increasing the compression which will
    increase how much info is lost in the saving process, or you have to
    reduce the resolution which throws out a proportion of the data and it can
    not be absolutely recovered. So either way you must be aware and ready for
    the reduction of picture quality.

    If you are just needing these images for general storage and none of them
    are absolutely imperative that the full quality will ever be needed again,
    this reduction of quality may not be a problem. But if there is even a
    chance that sometime in the future you might want to use any of these
    images in their full resolution, making this change in storage may not be
    a good idea. In this case you may be better served to find some form of
    external storage to archive them to (DVD, CD, External HD, etc). The
    prices of such external storage is dropping so fast that it may be
    financially feasable to have a few external HDs full of images sitting on
    the back of the closet shelf. :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, May 13, 2007
  4. Hall

    Bill Funk Guest

    There are at least two very good free utilities that will do batch
    resizing:
    Irfanview (http://irfanview.com)
    Faststone photo resizer (http://faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm)
    Faststone has other free photo utilities, too (http://faststone.org).

    Germany said Wednesday it will use computers
    and a complex algorithm to reassemble millions
    of shredded East German secret police files.
    Careers could be ruined. If it's possible to
    reassemble shredded files, Hillary Clinton
    could be impeached before she's even elected.

    Bill Funk, May 13, 2007