    still exist or not). What is the best method (if any) to convert them to
    digital?

    thanks

    Rifleman, Jun 8, 2004

  2. Rifleman

    Dominic Guest

    Scan them in to your computer using a flatbed scanner?

    Did I miss the point...

    Dominic

    Dominic, Jun 8, 2004

  3. Rifleman

    Rifleman Guest

    Ahhh - I don't have a scanner...........I do have a digital camera though,
    would it work taking pictures of them? Would the resolution be OK? (It's a
    3.5 million pixel camera.....)

    Rifleman, Jun 8, 2004
  4. Rifleman

    Unk Guest

    Yes, that will work.

    Unk, Jun 8, 2004
  5. Rifleman

    Dominic Guest

    To be honest my recommendation would be to invest in a basic scanner for
    your photos. You can get Canon branded ones for £36 including VAT on
    http://www.ebuyer.com these days, and even less if you're really strapped
    for cash. They will reproduce your image more accurately than you will be
    able to by taking pictures of them (and also come in handy for
    faxing+photocopying!)

    Dominic

    Dominic, Jun 8, 2004
  6. Rifleman

    Jim Wilhelm Guest

    As one who does this for a living (I work at a newspaper where we scan lots
    of photographs for publication), no I would not really recomend taking a
    photograph of a photograph. If you don't care a dink about quality, go ahead
    and try it, but you probably won't like the results. Flatbed scanners for
    home use are quite cheap and quality you get is well worth it. Try Epson or
    Cannon to start when you go shopping for scanners. We use the High end Epson
    for most of our work connected via Firewire since speed is very important
    too.

    Jim Wilhelm, Jun 8, 2004
  7. Rifleman

    Dominic Guest

    Out of interest, what proportion of press photographers use digital cameras
    now? I've noticed more and more at press conferences they seem to, but I
    know the one for the local paper doesn't.

    Dominic

    Dominic, Jun 8, 2004
  8. Rifleman

    John Holmes Guest

    Unk came up with this:
    Only if he has a steady hand.

    John Holmes, Jun 8, 2004
  9. Rifleman

    Rifleman Guest

    Thanks for the replies peeps - looks like it's going to be a scanner then!

    Rifleman, Jun 8, 2004
  10. Rifleman

    Bryan Guest

    Full time press snappers - about 95% use digital.
    (for every-day work, that is)
    Most have both systems though, depends on what you're going to shoot!
    :)

    Bryan, Jun 8, 2004
  11. Rifleman

    Dominic Guest

    No problem - let us know the final result.

    Dominic

    Dominic, Jun 8, 2004
  12. Rifleman

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    Only if you want shit quality.

    -= Hawk =-, Jun 8, 2004
  13. Rifleman

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Rifleman posted:
    If you're going to do it that way, then use a decent heavy tripod, or one
    that's more stable than a stable thing, and try using different lighting
    techniques and 'shutter timings' (whatever the camera has) to see what works
    best. I don't think you'll get anywhere near as good quality as you'd get
    by just spending £50 and getting a cheap scanner ... ;)

    Paul - xxx, Jun 8, 2004
  14. Rifleman

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    if you find the negatives, HP scanners have an optional negative adapter to
    scan negatives.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Jun 8, 2004
  15. Rifleman

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Along the same lines, I was practically shocked recently when our
    advertising agency brought out a photographer for shooting a new product
    line, and his equipment was digital. This agency for years has had the top
    of the line equipment in scanners and swore by large format film, big
    prints, and meticulous color matching on the Macs. I was glad to see that
    they've accepted digital photography as now being up to the task.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 9, 2004
  16. Rifleman

    Toolman Tim Guest

    My Epson came with that too...very nice "extra", since my dad's 35mm
    collection is awesome. If I ever get a life, I'm gonna scan in some of his
    stuff for my personal screensavers...now that he's gone Mom would like those
    too.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 9, 2004
  17. Rifleman

    Bryan Guest

    Yep! It's the 10mp Cannon thingy that does it, methinks. :)
    Just waiting for the Nikon ver.

    Bryan, Jun 9, 2004
  18. Rifleman

    Bryan Guest

    Bryan, Jun 9, 2004
  19. Rifleman

    John Guest

    Use a scanner.
    A scanner is a device which puts the image into a computer.

    You always need to edit the image briefly after you scan, but it's
    quite simple.

    John, Jun 9, 2004