Converting DVDs from one Region to another?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Rhino, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. Rhino

    Rhino Guest

    Is it possible to convert a DVD from one region and video format to another?
    Specifically, is it possible to convert a Region 2/PAL DVD to a Region
    1/NTSC format?

    I would like to order a couple of DVDs for my mother that appear to be
    available only in Region 2/PAL format. Unfortunately, it appears that our
    DVD players only handle Region 1/NTSC. Is there any way that we can get a
    Region 2 disk converted to Region 1?

    I know that VHS tapes created in PAL format can be easily converted to NTSC
    format; there are umpteen corner stores that can do that. Is there any
    comparable process for Region conversions?

    --
    Rhino
    ---

    Rhino, Jun 4, 2004

  2. Rhino

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    << Is there any
    comparable process for Region conversions? >><BR><BR>

    For the price of having several discs converted, you could probably just about
    pay for any number of cheap, but servicable, region-free machines that will
    play all DVDs. Plenty can be found on eBay.

    SoHillsGuy, Jun 4, 2004

  3. Rhino

    Rhino Guest

    So it is possible then? I only want to convert a single DVD (or possibly
    two) so it doesn't seem cost effective to buy an all-region player.

    How do I find a conversion service in my area? What Yellow Pages category
    should I look for?

    Rhino

    Rhino, Jun 5, 2004
  4. Rhino

    Robotman Guest

    You need a dvd burner using dvd decryptor (free off the net) and dvd shrink
    to burn it (also free off the net).

    Dvd decryptor allows whatever region you want to be set.

    But a region free elcheapo player is definitely easier if you don't have
    access to a burner.

    Robotman.

    Robotman, Jun 5, 2004
  5. I did exactly that but still get the message "Playback prohibited by
    area limitations."
    Not worth it for just one dvd....

    Bill Reynolds, Jun 5, 2004
  6. Rhino

    jeff blaclk Guest

    You need a dvd burner using dvd decryptor (free off the net) and dvd shrink
    to burn it (also free off the net).
    Both are excellent free software but won't convert pal to ntsc. A good
    player is the norcent dp-300 Plays back all regions and converts pal to
    ntsc. Plays vcd svcd xvcd xsvcd and mp3's Plus unauthored vcd and svcd's
    (mpeg 1 & 2 data) Just got another dp-300 on EBAY $20.00.
    I found to convert pal to ntsc you'll need a bunch of software (not all
    free) and its quite complex.

    jeff blaclk, Jun 5, 2004
  7. Rhino

    Legs Guest

    Another consideration is a multi-standard TV receiver or monitor to
    play alternate formats. No problem here in New Zealand where every TV
    set sold is capable of playing every TV format in common use around
    the world, but in NTSC broadcast countries I believe they only
    manufacture NTSC only sets. Cuts down on cost.

    Did you know?
    The computer you are looking at now may be more powerful than the mainframe
    M.I.T. used in 1972.

    Consider using the formidable power of your home computer to find a cure
    for cancer.
    Click on;

    http://www.grid.org/home.htm

    for details.

    I have donated over 3 years of computer time for this purpose. E-mail me
    with any questions. I am on hotmail.com as nzLegs or on yahoo.co.nz as
    nzLegs11.

    Don't just make a donation, make a difference!

    Legs, Jun 5, 2004
  8. Rhino

    jayembee Guest

    You can get one for as cheaply as $35-40. And while you might
    only have one non-R1 disc now, you might get more in the
    future. In fact, buying a region-free player opens up that
    opportunity for you.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jun 5, 2004
  9. Rhino

    Biz Guest

    If you have a dvd burner/dvdrom in your pc, during the ripping process you
    make the region issue go away, so thats the easy part. Next you would have
    to transcode the PAL video to NTSC which can be a sticky process without
    some knowledge and the ability to understand the tools like Tmpenc, etc...
    After you have successfully transcoded the video and audio and eliminated
    the potential sync issues during re-muxing, it should be a simple matter of
    re-authoring and burning to a blank dvd.

    Not too many shops would do this IMO since if they got caught it could be
    quite the fine for them. The cost would be reasonbly prohibitive as well.
    The suggestion of picking up a cheap region-free player that does PAL-NTSC
    on the fly is really not far off the mark even for just one or two.

    Biz, Jun 6, 2004
  10. Rhino

    Darkknight Guest

    you are dealing with 2 different problems, region coding has nothing to
    do with weather it's NTSC or Pal.
    To overcome the region problem you can set the region 0 (which will play
    anywhere) or remove the coding when you rip the dvd.
    as to the NTSC or Pal most dvd players can be set to convert between the
    two formats, and most newer TV's can play either without too many hassles

    regards Doug

    Darkknight, Jun 10, 2004
  11. Rhino

    Goro Guest

    easiest way is to use Nero. it has a 2week free trial so go download
    it and author your dvd and just make sure that you have "NTSC" checked
    on the output format.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jun 12, 2004