  1. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Is it possible?

    Alfred Molon, Sep 10, 2007

  2. Alfred Molon

    just bob Guest

    I know from my experience with converting CR2 files to DNG, if you chose to
    imbed the original raw file within the DNG when you converted it then yes,
    you can extract the original raw file.

    Otherwise.... not that I know of.

    just bob, Sep 10, 2007

  3. Alfred Molon

    ray Guest

    DNG is RAW.

    ray, Sep 10, 2007
  4. Alfred Molon

    just bob Guest

    If you were to convert say a CR2 to DNG and did not imbed, then Canon's DPP
    will not read that RAW file. I'd bet that is what he is talking about.

    just bob, Sep 10, 2007
  5. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    No. I mean the original format. Can you go back?

    Alfred Molon, Sep 11, 2007
  6. Alfred Molon

    ray Guest

    Maybe yes, maybe no; what's the original format?

    ray, Sep 11, 2007
  7. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    ORF, NEF, CRW whatever. Since all information (apparently) is contained
    in the DNG, it should be possible to convert back to RAW.

    Alfred Molon, Sep 11, 2007
  8. Only if you embedd it. If you convert to DNG and don't embedd, why would you
    want to go back? The reason for doing this in the first place indicates you
    would not want to do this.

    Long answer is that most vendors embedd private data in RAW files that can't
    be carried over to the DNG (Nikon "encypts" white balance information for
    instance), so it is not possible to legitimately do so.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Sep 11, 2007
  9. Not all the metadata information is in the DNG. Nikon, for instance, encrypts
    white balance information in the NEF that is not accessible to the DNG.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Sep 11, 2007
  10. Alfred Molon

    Gino Guest

    What's the file size of a DNG with embedded info compared to the original
    raw file?

    Gino, Sep 11, 2007
  11. Alfred Molon

    ray Guest

    It should be possible to convert back to the same raw format, but the file
    would not be identical. For example, some proprietary metadata will be
    lost. I'm not aware of any software that will accept dng and produce
    various raw formats.

    ray, Sep 11, 2007
  12. Depends upon the source file. The compressed NEF files get a little smaller
    in DNG. The Uncompressed NEF files get considerably smaller in DNG. BTW ...
    they use a lossless compression for DNG, so it is not a harmful loss.

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Sep 11, 2007