Converting cell-phone headset to computer headset

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by logisticky, May 6, 2005.

  1. logisticky

    logisticky Guest

    There MUST be an available piece of hardware to do this. I know it's
    more than converting the plug size and involves impedance matching and
    stereo-mono stuff, but doesn't SOMEONE make a box that will let me use
    my cell-phone in-the-ear hands free headset on my laptop for skype?

    If there isnt it seems like a great market for one!

    Please, no options that involve soldering!


    logisticky, May 6, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. logisticky

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Have you tried a plug converter from Radio Shack?
    Rick Merrill, May 6, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. logisticky

    logisticky Guest

    Yeah, that was my first thought, too.

    It DEFINITELY does not work.

    It has something to do with the tip configuration on the cell-phone

    So a simple plug convert to a 2-line out to the mic and speaker jacs is
    a no-go should have made that clearer in original post.

    This has been discussed on the net but the solutions all involve
    soldering and resistors and so forth. Was hoping someone sold a box ...
    logisticky, May 6, 2005
  4. For goodness' sake! What does a computer headset of comparable (low)
    quality cost? Would anyone be able to market an adaptor box for that
    Laurence Payne, May 7, 2005
  5. logisticky

    B.M. Wright Guest

    Traveling with one of those lame call center looking headsets in
    your laptop bag isn't cool and you'll have a hard time picking up any
    chicks at the airport/internet cafe with that on. :) I've only found
    one place that sells something reasonable, haven't bought one yet myself,
    but will before I travel next time, basically it's a mobile phone style
    headset but with PC style connection jacks:

    They're in the UK but the total shipped to the us is ?4.95,
    which is about $9.00, not bad. You can forget about the part for "VAT"
    because if you live outside of the UK they won't charge it and I doubt
    the US customs henchmen will add any import tax at that low of a value.

    If you do buy one I'm curious how long the lead is. The person
    who responded at when I asked apparently doesn't speak
    english well enough to understand: "How long is the cord on your
    babble-bud headset shown in your web store?".
    B.M. Wright, May 7, 2005
  6. logisticky

    Heimo Hetl Guest

    get a bluetooth headset. supposed both your mobile and notebook and mobile
    have bluetooth interfaces, you're set.

    Heimo Hetl, May 7, 2005
  7. logisticky

    logisticky Guest

    This doesn't seem to be such an outrageous idea - maybe I've posted to
    the wrong group(s). The multimedia headsets are huge. I have to carry
    my cell headset either way.

    The bluetooth idea below sounds like a good idea - for someone whose
    laptop has bluetooth ...

    There MUST be someone out there who has sorted this out.
    logisticky, May 8, 2005
  8. logisticky wrote ...
    Sure we have. But we know how to use a soldering iron
    and you have precluded that solution. You could try one of
    the computer sound card newsgroups.
    Richard Crowley, May 9, 2005
  9. logisticky

    Heimo Hetl Guest

    I've seen some cheapo "universal-fit" cellphone earplugs that come with a
    plug adaptor for different brands of mobiles. Maybe you can use one of
    those if you leave out the adaptor?

    Heimo Hetl, May 9, 2005
  10. There are different hands free units with different specifications.
    I have monstly played myself with hands free units made for Nokia
    cellular phones. At those hands free units, the headphone part
    is 32 ohm spaker element similar to ones used on normal headphones.
    This can be directly wired to line/headphone out of the soundcard
    directly. Because there is only one speaker, you cna wire it
    directly to only one audio channel (left or right).
    The microphone in the hands free unit is pretty normal
    electrt capsule that can be wired directly to PC soundcard
    microphone input (signal wire to tip and ring of 3.5 mm plug,
    ground to connector ground).

    Maybe some day I have time to add some building details to project pages...
    I don't kknow any such box. The reason why such box does not exist
    is that there are so many different cell phone hands free units
    that use different connectors and have different technical
    specifications... Different hands free units would need different
    conversion box.
    I do not have any ready to build device to recommendation.
    Biltema ( sells one unit "MULTIMEDIAHUBI"
    that is designed for controlling audio volume to speakers,
    switching between headset and spakers etc..
    Details at
    That unit has a 2.5 mm jack which according the manual / print
    on the case would be for interfacing hands free unit...
    Good idea. THe sad fact is that it does seem to work
    with any hands-free unit or similar... I have tried
    several different models for this.

    Soldering has never been a problem for me...
    And I have made this king of interfacing from component
    when Ihav had need for it.
    Tomi Holger Engdahl, May 9, 2005
  11. logisticky

    Brett Guest

    Checkout the skype site for more info:

    also see much discussion on those forums:

    Brett, May 19, 2005
  12. logisticky

    Brett Guest

    see also:

    Brett, May 19, 2005
  13. logisticky


    Apr 9, 2008
    Likes Received:
    Found adapter - PC headset to phone

    I found an adapter that will allow you to use a PC headset (with two 3.5mm plugs) with a phone (with one 2.5mm jack).

    It's $12.95 at The product name and description is PPC Techs PPCPADPT12 2.5mm to 3.5mm Mic/Audio Adaptor.

    - Zac
    ZacR, Apr 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.