    TIFF-YC is a lossless compressed format that dates back to the days of
    much smaller memory cards - it produces files about 2/3 the size of
    TIFF-RGB files, but containing the same information.

    Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley, Jun 26, 2010

  2. Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley

    ray Guest

    I don't see anything on"tiff-yc" - do you suppose you could provide a
    sample? I'd like to look into that.

    ray, Jun 26, 2010

  3. OK - I emailed you a sample with the title "TIFF-YC sample file"

    Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley, Jun 26, 2010
  4. Well, I feel dumb. I was so intent on my problem with the *conversion*
    program, that I hadn't tried opening the file with my photo *editing*
    program. That program had no problem opening the TIFF-YC file!

    Thanks guys!

    Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley, Jun 26, 2010
  5. The email bounced saying "no mailbox here by that name"

    Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley, Jun 26, 2010
  6. Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley

    Peter Guest

    Well, I feel dumb. I was so intent on my problem with the *conversion*
    program, that I hadn't tried opening the file with my photo *editing*
    program. That program had no problem opening the TIFF-YC file!

    Thanks guys!

    Assuming you meant TIFF-YCC, here is our explanation.

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/sycc.htm

    Peter, Jun 26, 2010
  7. I just checked - I got the camera in 1999. Maybe it's time to bite the
    bullet and get something more up to date. It's like the kids say:
    "that's so twentieth century!".

    Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley, Jun 26, 2010
  8. We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    drugs began to take hold. I remember "Peter"
    Good grief, he seems to be implying that composite video output is good.

    Grimly Curmudgeon, Jun 27, 2010
  9. Only that it reduces file size, I believe, and hence bandwidth on analogue
    (or digital) TV. Without component encoding there would likely have been
    no colour TV as we've known it for the last 40+ years.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 27, 2010
  10. We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
    drugs began to take hold. I remember "David J Taylor"
    Agreed for component, but he specifically mentions composite at the end
    - horrible way of doing it.

    Grimly Curmudgeon, Jun 27, 2010
  11. Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley

    SMS Guest

    Yes, I doubt if there are any decent photo editors that can't handle
    TIFF-YC. Photoshop certainly handles it, though I think a plug-in is
    required. There were some Nikon/Fujifilm D-SLRs that supported TIFF YC
    as an alternative to RAW.

    SMS, Jun 27, 2010
  12. He says: "In broadcast television and composite video one passes the Cr
    and Cb channels through bandwidth limiting filters and then on to modulate
    the I and Q quadrature channels of a dual-sideband suppressed subcarrier."
    which is a statement of how colour television works. I don't read any
    endorsement there.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 27, 2010