    multiple computers pull IPs off your local subnet instead of off the
    routers'. Has anyone ever heard of this trick? And if there is a way to
    do this ... how?

    Jim Bleal, May 14, 2005

  2. Jim Bleal

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Turn off the router's DHCP server?

    Toolman Tim, May 15, 2005

  3. Yeah, you can turn any router into a switch by disabling the DHCP server on
    the router. Now as far as being able to get an IP for a machine, there must
    be a gateway device on the network whether that be a computer, router or FW
    appliance that DHCP IP(s) or static IP(s) can be used by the switch. You
    want to the machines on the router (now a switch) not accessible, then you
    change the subnet on the router (now a switch) to be a different subnet mask
    than the gateway device.

    The principles for making a router a switch and using it are the same no
    matter if it's a wire or wireless router or brand name being used.

    http://tinyurl.com/5sjf3

    If you want to use two routers with each using their own DHCP and subnets,
    then you connect routers together taking the WAN port of the second router
    and plug it into the Uplink port of the gateway router or FW appliance if
    the device has an Uplink port.

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 15, 2005
  4. Jim Bleal

    why? Guest

    That's quite funny :) LOL.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, May 15, 2005
  5. I have my moments. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Hate K-CSC -- Duane ;-\), May 15, 2005
  6. Jim Bleal

    Chuck Guest

    Some NAT routers have an option to disable NAT. If not,
    1) Turn off DHCP server.
    2) Change the LAN address of the router to something outside the scope of the
    DHCP server on the LAN.
    3) Connect all computers and other routers as peers to the LAN side of the
    router - connect nothing to the WAN side.

    Chuck, May 15, 2005
  7. Jim Bleal

    FML Guest

    Jim Bleal spewed forth...
    I suppose you could, but why would you want to?

    If what you need is a switch, drop $10 (US) and get you a switch.

    Are you sure you understand what a router does? It does a lot more than
    just assign IP addresses (which is typically easy enough to disable).

    FML, May 15, 2005
  8. Jim Bleal

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, FML mused:

    | I suppose you could, but why would you want to?

    One instance where I have done this is my boss's DSL modem supported
    wireless connections, but only WEP. He wanted WPA encryption. So, I
    sold him a wireless router I had lying around, and hooked it up to his
    DSL modem/router as, essentially, a wireless switch (disabling the
    wireless on the original modem, of course). Worked a treat until he
    started mucking about with it.

    mhicaoidh, May 15, 2005