Convert 240V current to 12V

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by KerplunKuK, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. KerplunKuK

    KerplunKuK Guest

    I want to plug a 12v fan into a 240v plug socket. I know I need a converter
    to wire the fan into but I do not know what it is called, so can't search
    for it.
    Can anyone tell me what its called or where in the UK to look for one.
    Its to connect a computer fan to the mains to put into a vivarium.

    KerplunKuK, Dec 3, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  2. KerplunKuK

    HamMan Guest

    Did you fail GCSE Physics? You can make your own with two iron cores and a
    whole load of wire.

    Failing that, you could just get any old transformer and cut the end off,
    and join it to the fan wires.
    If youre feeling adventerous you could get an AT Computer power supply and
    just attach the fan to it that way.

    HamMan, Dec 3, 2003
    1. Advertisements

  3. KerplunKuK

    Patrick Guest

    What you are wanting is called a Mains-Voltage(AC) to 12v(DC) *Transformer*
    (or converter)

    It is strongly suggested that you visit a reputable elictrical shop and tell
    them what it is you want to do (what is a vivarium?).

    I have a Transformer that converts a mains-voltage to iether 3,4.5,6.9 or
    Of said I only paid a few pounds, thus you ought not to have to pay to much
    for such a Transformer.
    Patrick, Dec 3, 2003
  4. KerplunKuK

    Bill Guest

    A transformer will not convert AC to DC. You need a power supply
    a.k.a. converter a.k.a adapter a.k.a. converter. Name depends on the

    Here's one to get you started. There's lots out there.

    Bill, Dec 3, 2003
  5. KerplunKuK

    Bri. Guest

    In Patrick typed...
    A tank or pool or bowl filled with water for keeping live fish and
    underwater animals.

    Get the free version, *very useful*

    Another tip from ┬║Mike┬║.
    Bri., Dec 3, 2003
  6. If buying a 240V AC to 12V DC adaptor check the current rating of the fan
    and make sure the adaptor is capable of delivering that and some more to
    cope with switch on surges.
    Kenny Cargill, Dec 3, 2003
  7. KerplunKuK

    Gordon Guest

    You need a step-down transformer with full wave bridge rectifier and voltage
    regulator IC.
    Try your local electrical or radio/tv shop spares and repair shop for 12v DC
    regulated power supply unit.
    Although for a fan only the supply may not need to be regulated.
    Gordon, Dec 3, 2003
  8. KerplunKuK

    KerplunKuK Guest

    A vivarium is a home for tropical pets like lizards, turtles etc.
    KerplunKuK, Dec 3, 2003
  9. KerplunKuK

    Patrick Guest

    Most kind of you to give me the definition of an 'aquarium'

    1. vivarium -- (an indoor enclosure for keeping and raising living animals
    and plants and observing them under natural conditions)
    Patrick, Dec 3, 2003
  10. KerplunKuK

    Patrick Guest

    Ta, as I suspected, I was just trying to be carefull in that it may have
    been a wet-environment (mains-voltage)
    Patrick, Dec 3, 2003
  11. KerplunKuK

    Bri. Guest

    In Patrick typed...
    Well, thiere you go ;-)
    Bri., Dec 3, 2003
  12. KerplunKuK

    Fred Guest

    Get a cheap car battery charger - that will do the trick!
    Fred, Dec 3, 2003
  13. KerplunKuK

    Barry OGrady Guest

    12 volt DC plug pack power supply.

    Web page:
    Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.
    Barry OGrady, Dec 4, 2003
  14. KerplunKuK

    Barry OGrady Guest

    You are lucky to be alive. You have no understanding of electricity.

    Web page:
    Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.
    Barry OGrady, Dec 4, 2003
  15. KerplunKuK

    M Mullen Guest

    |> A transformer will not convert AC to DC. You need a power supply
    |> a.k.a. converter a.k.a adapter a.k.a. converter. Name depends on the
    |> manufacturer.

    Oh sure they do. Ya got a cell phone? Read the input (ac) and output (dc) listed
    on it.

    o _ _ _
    _o /\_ _ \\o (_)\__/o (_)
    _< \_ _>(_) (_)/<_ \_| \ _|/' \/
    (_)>(_) (_) (_) (_) (_)' _\o_
    Lottery: A tax on people who aren't good at math.
    M Mullen, Dec 4, 2003
  16. KerplunKuK

    John and Pat Guest

    OK..picky here but technically it is not the transformer that does that but
    a full wave bridge rectifier.Transformers either increase an input voltage
    (step up) or decrease the input voltage (step down). I believe the original
    post said a power supply and clarified it by stating adapter (converter,
    etc.) in which case the statement is correct. Those cell phone adapters
    contain a transformer and a FWB rectifier (possibly a filter as well) if
    they are converting AC to DC .

    John O.
    John and Pat, Dec 4, 2003
  17. KerplunKuK

    Micio Guest

    I agree with Fred a Car battery charger should get that fan
    when dealing with DC Voltages make sure You connect (+) positive
    from your supply to the positive side of Your fan and the (--)
    to the negative side of Your fan.
    If You reverse the connections the fan may not run
    or if it runs may run backward and suck all the water out of the
    vivarium and all the fish will be dry.
    Hope this will help You.
    Micio, Dec 4, 2003
  18. KerplunKuK

    Bill Guest

    That's not a transformer. Your cell phone uses a power supply that has
    a transformer in it along with a full wave bridge rectifier and a few
    other things.

    I'm not trying to be picky or play with semantics, but someone
    suggested that the OP could solve his problem by making a transformer
    "with two iron cores and a whole load of wire" - and that's just not

    Bill, Dec 4, 2003
  19. KerplunKuK

    Fred Guest

    Just another quick thought - you could also power low voltage lights
    from a car battery charger for fancy illuminations , as well!
    Fred, Dec 4, 2003
  20. KerplunKuK

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Has anyone asked if it is a 12VDC or an AC fan?
    (I'll bet it's a DC fan, so just use a 12V power supply.)

    If it were a 12V AC fan you better be sure it is a
    50 Hz fan before connecting to a 20:1 transformer.
    Rick Merrill, Dec 4, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.