    Any help or pointers would be great.

    thanks in advance

    Chris

    Evil Uncle Chris, Jun 30, 2006

  2. Per Evil Uncle Chris:
    I'm currently doing what I think you're describing between my home office PC and
    a PC at a client site.

    Home office PC brings up the client site PC's desktop and it acts almost exactly
    as if I were at the site and logged on there.

    VPN (Virtual Private Network) gets me connected to the client site's LAN. You
    probably don't need that because it sounds like you're already on your home LAN
    via the wireless card.

    "Remote Desktop" is the tool that does the desktop thing. It's part of Windows
    XP. Dunno about earlier versions of Windows. There are other tools that do
    the same thing, but I don't know any names.

    (PeteCresswell), Jun 30, 2006

  3. If your PC is running XP Professional, this will tell you how to enable and
    configure remote desktop:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315328/en-us

    This feature is not available on XP Home Edition except as a client.
    Instead you could use NetMeeting or a third party solution - eg:

    http://www.tightvnc.com

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jun 30, 2006
  4. If the home desktop PC is running XP Pro or MCE using Remote Desktop is one
    method...

    If the home desktop PC is running XP Home then UltraVNC is a good
    alternative. Get the server, client, encryption plug-in and XP video driver
    (for the desktop only) from...

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jun 30, 2006

  5. Easiest way of the lot and free and doesn't matter if you run XP Pro or XP
    Home is to install UltraVNC. You don't pay for it and it simply works.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 1, 2006
  6. Thanks for all of the guidance.

    It seems that as both machines ar XP Home, then UltraVNC is the solution to
    consider.

    Thanks again to all who offered advice, it has helped a lot.

    Cheers

    Chris

    Evil Uncle Chris, Jul 1, 2006
  7. I'd like to be able to take control of stuff on my home PC from my
    OK, I have tried and failed to set up UltraVNC. There are just so many terms
    I don't undersstand, I just don't know where to start, so probably best that
    I don't.

    Is there a method for dummies to create what I am looking for, or should I
    just accept that this is beyond me?

    Cheers

    Chris

    Chris Macnamara, Jul 3, 2006
  8. At this point, seeing you cant get UltraVNC set up, I would be calling in
    your local "computer guy" to fix it for you. You could, alternatively, buy
    PC Anywhere but honestly, I don't recommend ANYTHING Symantec (Nortons) at
    all. It is a remote control program and easier to set up but being a
    Symantec program, you know there are inherent problems. Your local computer
    guy should be able to fix it for you and if he cant, then he doesn't get
    paid.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 3, 2006
  9. Spookily enough, the thread above this is talking about wirelessly backing
    up two laptops.

    On reading further, someone mentioned www.logmein.com , a service which is
    somewhat like GoToMyPc, best thing is, this one is free!

    Took me all of 10 minutes to set up, and now I can control either machine
    wherever I am (but usually whilst sitting downstairs in the conservatory)
    I guess that there are some security issues around this, but it sems to do
    exactly what I need.

    So for the time being "the local computer guy" can have a day off.

    Any opinions on this service?

    Chris

    Chris Macnamara, Jul 4, 2006