    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm
    Health, happiness and healing
    http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com

    Peter Jones, Jul 12, 2003

  2. Peter Jones

    Paul H. Guest

    I agree completely! Contrast masking (CM) can help compensate for some of
    the perceived dynamic range limitations associated with CCD imagers in
    digital cameras. No, CM won't really increase the DR, but it sure looks
    like it did in many cases! There's a psychological barrier you may have to
    leap over, though: the technique is so seductively simple and effective
    that it's easy to believe contrast masking must be evil. The first time I
    tried it, I was so astounded that I recoiled from my moniter in disbelief ,
    stumbling over my chair while muttering, "Uhhh...that ain't right... there
    are some things we weren't meant to know..."

    The only real bit of advice I have about the technique is urge people to
    experiment with both the Gaussian blur radius and the transparency of the
    overlay to get the best results.

    Paul H., Jul 12, 2003

  3. Please repost Aaron's links...

    Frank Kentner, Jul 12, 2003
  4. Peter Jones

    Peter Jones Guest

    Frank, once again, here is Aaron's message and the links...

    As mentioned in an earlier message, I've added this technique to the
    image processing script I've written for PhotoPaint 8, for my
    websites. That way I can easily see how the image looks at various
    levels of Contrast Masking, gamma, etc. Here is a snapshot of the
    dialog as it looked a day or so (ie: it's way different now!):

    http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com/pmjimageconv.jpg

    Peter

    Digital Photography Reference
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm
    Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)

    Peter Jones, Jul 13, 2003
  5. Peter Jones

    Andre Guest

    I would also strongly suggest playing with the order of the steps too.
    I have found that if you leave the Gaussian Blur step until after you
    have set the layer to overlay, you can see the effects immediately of
    the different radii. I find this gives much better control.

    Andre, Jul 13, 2003