    them? How do they compare with Ultrachrome K3, and other available inks?

    Thanks,
    Michael

    Michael Seltzer, Jul 3, 2006

  2. Michael Seltzer

    tomm42 Guest

    As a person who has used after market inks in Epson printers for about
    5 years, let me give some thoughts on the subject.
    1) K3 inks are some of the best inks ever designed for printing photos.
    Cave Paint is good ink, but the K3 set is about the top ink for
    printing.
    2) Continuous ink systems do work, save $ etc. When I put mine in my
    alternatives were were Epson dye ink which weren't very stable. I don't
    see the reason to use other inks if they are equal or not quite as good
    as the inkset you have.
    3) Desktop printers have a finite lifespan, adding a continuous ink
    system won't change that , if you are doing significant printing jobs,
    may I suggest one of the Epson Pro series (or HP design jets, or the
    new Canon). The carriage mechanism does wear out in the Epson.
    4) Profiling is work, and a learned skill. Every paper you use will
    have to be profiled, each change in resolution has to be profiled.
    Paper manufacturers may publish a K3 profile for your printer, but you
    won't get that with an after market ink.
    5) When they work continuous ink systems are nice, when they don't they
    are a PITA. If someting goes wrong with the printer you can't ship it
    with a coninuous ink system on it, Epso won't even look at the printer.
    6) if you are looking at the Epson 2200, switching to Cave Paints will
    probably work for you, just don't see the reason to switch from the K3
    inks, other than saving money, with the cost and time you spend
    profiling is it really a savings?

    Tom

    tomm42, Jul 3, 2006