    in microsoft's hands : )

    thanks
    Steve

    Steve UK, Sep 6, 2003

  2. Steve UK

    Jim Watt Guest

    The reality is that if you have to ask the question your kids probably
    know more about how the internet works and will easily circumvent
    any controls you install on their machines.

    Also one should not underestimate their taste, I recently listened to
    a 14 year old by telling his friend on the phone how to look up a game
    cheat site and telling him to be sure to do it when his parents were
    not around as there were porn popups. His interest was in the game
    stuff not the adult material which was regarded as obnoxious rubbish.

    If you have a PC connected to the network and they are using kazza
    to download music, as kids do, worry about the incoming rubbish and
    ensure that if it trashes their machines, your does not get affected.

    Jim Watt, Sep 6, 2003

  3. Steve UK

    Mimic Guest

    Dont forget the old antivirus. I got my first non-intentional infection in
    6yrs last night :D yay me.
    Oh course, i spotted it and manually took it out which took me all of
    30secs. Then i ran symantecs fix that took a good 15minutes and did 1/3 of
    what i did. :p

    --
    Mimic

    and those that dont."
    "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
    when you do, it blows away your whole leg"

    Mimic, Sep 7, 2003
  4. Steve, there is a program that will do what you're asking and protects your
    kid's PC from inadvertent attacks or trojans from calling home if they've
    inadvertently installed items which they shouldn't have (which is
    inevitable)...

    Zone Alarm pro 4.0 has a web filtering option that will filter out
    pornography, religion, etc... It's quite good piece of firewall. You can
    get it at www.zonelabs.com

    If you have any problems with it or not understanding it, you can always
    post here or email me... and no, I don't work for them ;)

    R Green
    Tech Support

    R Green - WoWsat.com, Sep 8, 2003
  5. Steve UK

    sponge Guest

    Netnanny is located here: http://www.lightship.com/tech_software_1.asp
    Note that CyberPatrol is listed too, but only for Mac.

    Also, you can use a proxy like Proxomitron, but there is a bit of a
    learning curve. Basically, you can filter any URL that contains XXX,
    PORN, or something like that. You can block domain names, even with
    wildcards (e.g. *XXX* will block anything with XXX in it). It can even
    filter the page itself. It's not terribly difficult, but you'd have to
    write your own filters to do that.

    On another note, if you are seriously planning on letting your kids
    roam the web using IE, you are in for a nightmare. Unless you've
    locked it down, you are more than likely going to find dialers,
    spyware, trojans, and tons of othre parasites on your system. Lock it
    down tightly. Use the Security screen, not some third-party program,
    and make sure to patch the Data Source Object, HTA, and maybe even the
    Windows Scripting Host exploits. You don't need to patch HTA if you've
    disabled WSH.

    Sponge
    Sponge's Anti-Spyware Source
    www.geocities.com/yosponge