    Well my 6 year old Epson Printer still has Epson support as far as ink
    Cartridges, and then I can get OEM ones..

    Mind you I have just upgraded to a Epson R210 and sold my great 740 for $80..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 20, 2004

  2. The GHOST of WOGER.

    colinco Guest

    Don't worry about his Kodak, what about your Panasonic?

    colinco, May 20, 2004

  3. Yes I know, I have e-mail them about it..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 20, 2004
  4. No, it depends on the product

    Patrick Dunford, May 21, 2004
  5. The GHOST of WOGER.

    Ray Colvill Guest

    some major power tool importers only replace up to
    two years old. The never imported any parts.

    This mainly applies to items retailing less than $50.

    And it is getting worse. will the warehouse repair a $29.95
    colt grinder. I think not. Most min fees are $20 to look at it.

    http://mail.spaminspector.com

    Ray Colvill, May 23, 2004
  6. The GHOST of WOGER.

    John Potter Guest

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 18:06:38 +1200, "Ray Colvill"

    Not only power tools. The bus co I work for bought some buses a while
    back with throw away engines and gearboxes - not repairable except for
    minor parts.

    But the engines and gearboxes cost half the repairable version. I
    think most people are like the bus co - they buy on price. If power
    tool parts availability was advertised at time of purchase I doubt
    many would buy the more expensive model with parts.

    John Potter, May 23, 2004
  7. Replacement parts are a small part of the overall cost of repairs these
    days - the lion's share is downtime and labour.

    If you factor that in it may well be cheaper overall to do complete unit
    changeouts.

    (Of course it'd make sense to be able to do this and work on engines, then
    return them to the spares pool, etc rather than a complete throwaway,
    given that it's significantly cheaper to work on the gear on a bench than
    in situ....)

    Uncle StoatWarbler, May 23, 2004
  8. The GHOST of WOGER.

    whoisthis Guest

    actually some of these "low end" products are only rated for 8 hours use
    then they are worn out.

    whoisthis, May 23, 2004
  9. The GHOST of WOGER.

    AD. Guest

    OT (sorry)

    Does anyone else see the contradiction in the above snippet?

    Or is is just me?

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., May 23, 2004
  10. That's why they'd just replace them :)

    Bruce

    Bruce

    Caution === followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    (if there weere any)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 23, 2004
  11. The GHOST of WOGER.

    brundlefly Guest

    8 hours use would drive 5760 screws more than I would like to do by hand.
    I've found the cheap stuff quite useful when I want a disposable that I am
    going to get covered in resin. A cheapo drill is great if you want to use it
    for a paint stirrer

    brundlefly, May 24, 2004
  12. Why people expect to pay $30 for something that costs over $100 from the
    likes of Makita and Hitachi AND get full service for it would be a
    considerable mystery.

    At the low end of the market it is obviously uneconomic to repair these
    cheap devices that in any case have a limited life. They are designed to
    be thrown away when they wear out.

    Patrick Dunford, May 24, 2004
  13. Even better is where you know you have a big job on and get an el
    cheapo, use it till it dies then get it replaced, or your money back :)[/QUOTE]

    Yeah :) Why is it that people think that, if it's cheap and it dies
    you can't get a refund or a replacement ? Some kind of suppressed
    guilt for not paying "enough" originally ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 24, 2004
  14. The GHOST of WOGER.

    whoisthis Guest

    whoisthis, May 24, 2004

  15. I fix monitors. The support is effectively the length of the warranty.
    You cannot get the proprietary bits for monitors. If you can then
    they are ludicrously expensive.

    Same goes for laptops. If you have to replace the LCD you can pay up to
    $1500 for the LCD alone.

    As for PC Company monitors, well where do you get parts for them now??!!

    Alan Liefting, May 25, 2004
  16. The GHOST of WOGER.

    whoisthis Guest

    Well I service scientific instrumentation and some of that is not much
    better, I have had to write off 3 year old equipment valued at $10,000
    because I can not get parts, yet in other cases I have stuff about 30
    years old which is only just loosing support now.

    whoisthis, May 25, 2004
  17. The GHOST of WOGER.

    E. Scrooge Guest

    From whoever made them in the first place. They were hardly made by the PC
    Company. With only a year warranty (without paying extra) the PC Company
    had no confidence that the monitors would last 3 years like other brands
    that did give a 3 year warranty on their monitors.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, May 25, 2004
  18. The OEM monitor manufacturers do not supply spares. The outfit that
    rebrands them may or may not ask for spares. Wuth the HPM50 no spares
    were made availinle. The company that had the warranty reapir contract
    had to strip discarded units as a supply of spares.

    Alan Liefting, May 26, 2004