    Movie captures aren't important as I have a DV camera for that.
    Firewire or USB is fine...

    TIA!

    Larry Bud, Jun 1, 2007

  2. I recommend something in the Nikon Coolpix L line. They have several compact
    models under $200 and some under $150. The new Coolpix L10, L11 and L12
    models are all under $200 list price, very compact, all have 3x optical
    zooms and use readily available AA batteries (you'll want to get
    rechargeables and a charger, but those are available under $20 at Wal-Mart
    for example). The L10 is only about $120 suggested retail price. Older
    models are no doubt still available from some sellers, perhaps at discounted
    prices. You'll want to get an SD memory card too -- they are very
    inexpensive, often on sale and/or with good rebates, for example from
    Buy.com.

    Look on this page and compare:
    http://nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Jun 1, 2007

  3. Larry Bud

    JohnR66 Guest

    You can get a good camera for that kind of money these days. They all will
    shoot videos, most with sound, so it is something that can be avoided, but
    it is nice to have anyway. In this price range all have optical zoom lenses.
    Personally, I'd recommend something that uses AA batteries and SD memory
    cards. Check your local stores. Many have a large selection of cameras you
    can get your hands on to try. You sould find most of todays models are
    pretty small.
    John

    JohnR66, Jun 2, 2007
  4. Larry Bud

    Guest Guest

    First, I advise reading the latest Consumer Reports. This will at least get
    you started on the right track.

    Cheers,

    Norm Strong

    Guest, Jun 2, 2007
  5. Larry Bud

    peter Guest

    Try the camera screener here

    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

    peter, Jun 2, 2007
  6. Larry Bud

    Bob Williams Guest

    There isn't a whole lot or difference between brands of digicams in the
    $150-200 range. It is mainly a matter of choosing a camera with the
    features that you REALLY want.
    The current issue of Consumer Reports evaluates and ranks a bunch of
    digicams. That is a good place to start (and end?) your research.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jun 3, 2007
  7. Larry Bud

    sw2U Guest

    (snip)
    (snip)

    If you find an optical viewfinder essential, as I do, be sure to check
    out the Canon and Eastman Kodak camera lines -- before the ones with a
    handy little window get away. Both companies have some good models
    offering very good features and value for money.

    A camera in the 5- to 7- megapixel range should serve your purposes
    well. If especially clear, well-thought-out and easy to follow menus
    and manuals appeal, look closely at the Kodak models.

    Both Kodak and Canon offer some decent bundle deals of a camera and
    dye-sub snapshot printer, sometimes with other accessories thrown in,
    all in one box. Just be sure *not* to get a combo put together to help
    unload a very limitedr low-end camera, unless you're very sure that's
    what you want.

    Best of luck,

    sw2U

    sw2U, Jun 3, 2007
  8. Larry Bud

    ASAAR Guest

    Not all of the combos include limited, low-end cameras. At a time
    when most stores were out of the recently discontinued Canon A620,
    Staples was selling it for less that its regular price, bundled with
    one of their "regular" sized basic printers, the Pixma ip6220D. The
    package also included a second set of ink cartridges, but I don't
    know if they were or weren't included when the printer was not
    purchased as part of a bundle. One more thing to watch out for are
    the special sales that include printing paper. I think it's Canon
    that offers several different quality grades, and if you check the
    spec's, the ones usually on sale usually have the shortest quoted
    print longevity.

    ASAAR, Jun 3, 2007
  9. Larry Bud

    GMAN Guest

    yeah, it will help him to know to avoid any device that CR rates highly.
    Usually IMHO and experience, most of what CR rates as good is crap.

    GMAN, Jun 5, 2007
  10. Larry Bud

    kayla Guest

    Go to http://www.dpreview.com/ and then "buying guide" and "side by
    side". You can compare your old camera with any one off the list.

    Lori

    kayla, Jun 5, 2007
  11. Larry Bud

    Larry Bud Guest

    Thanks for all the advise. I, of course, spent more than I initially
    wanted and got the Canon A710. Looks like it got some good reviews,
    has I.S. and 6x optical zoom.

    Larry Bud, Jun 6, 2007