Constant problems with newsgroups

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MaryL, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    I have had a constant problem with newsgroups, starting a few weeks ago. I
    do not know of anything have done to cause the problem, and I am at a loss
    as to how to solve it. I will open a newsgroup, and there will be a *very*
    long delay. Then, every *new* message I try to open on *every* newsgroup
    says, "Message is no longer available on the server." They appear with a
    line drawn through the title. I googled and followed the instructions that
    I found on several sites -- that is (using Outlook Express), I right clicked
    on one of the newsgroups, then Properties > Local File > Delete > Yes. All
    of the messages vanished, just as the instructions indicated. I can
    "recreate" the newsgroup (just as the instructions say) by clicking on
    another newsgroup, then back to the one I was working on. Of course, I have
    also lost all messages that I had marked to save. Within a day or two, the
    same thing happens, and I have to go through this process over and over
    again!

    First, I don't know if the problem really is with OE, or if something else
    is causing the problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

    Second, I had posted a similar question and someone said to "dump OE" (but
    with no other information). I am willing to try other newsreaders, but the
    ones I checked are no longer available as free versions. I realize that I
    can download demos with some but would appreciate suggestions, especially if
    I have to go with paid versions. In particular, I looked at the sites for
    Agent and News Rover.

    Given the problem I am having, there is a good chance that I will not even
    be able to read replies through OE. However, I can google for replies (and
    hope I will find them there). If anyone has suggestions that you can send
    by email as well as via the newsgroup, that would help a lot. That is not
    usually a good practice, but I find that I no longer can count on seeing
    messages even after I go through the procedure I listed.

    I apologize for the rather disjointed description I have given. I simply
    don't know what is causing the problem, and it is truly frustrating.
    Newsgroups have become almost completely non-functional. I am using OE 6.0
    (under IE 6.0, of course). I have cable connection and access newsgroups
    through news.cox-internet.com.

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, Nov 2, 2006

  2. MaryL

    Evan Platt Guest

    First suggestion:

    As others have said, dump OE. Use anything. Forte Agent is $29 and
    worth every penny.
    It has a 30 day free trial. Try it for 30 days and see if it fixes
    your problem.

    Evan Platt, Nov 2, 2006

  3. Good advice.
    Here's eight free ones:
    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#newsreaders

    I like 40tude Dialog. It is quite powerful, and hasn't crashed on me
    since I started using it several years ago.

    Another bit of advice: never use the same application for both email and
    news. This will eliminate the embarrassing possibility that you might
    post a personal email to a newsgroup.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 2, 2006
  4. MaryL

    sittingduck Guest

    bah, agent is crap (IMO) and there are several free readers that are much
    better. Xnews, Dialog, Gravity....

    sittingduck, Nov 2, 2006
  5. MaryL

    Evan Platt Guest

    Opinions are like assholes.

    Everyone has one. :-D

    Evan Platt, Nov 2, 2006
  6. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Thanks. I'll take a look at that. I will probably also download the demo
    of Agent.

    I don't use OE for email. I use Eudora for personal mail and Yahoo for my
    newsgroup email address.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Nov 2, 2006
  7. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Thanks. Forte Agent is the newsgroup I have seen mentioned most often. I
    will probably check out the free trial.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Nov 2, 2006
  8. Real newsreaders even automatically snip properly delimited signatures,
    such as:
    If you do try Dialog, here is a piece of advice. On the menu
    File > Compact Database...
    do this maybe once or twice a month (if you do only text groups) or
    maybe once weekly if you do binary groups as well. And unless you have
    some great burning desire to save everything, uncheck the box to
    actually make a backup. Keeps things clean.
    That's a good start. :)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 2, 2006
  9. MaryL

    Fred Guest

    Fred, Nov 2, 2006
  10. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion. However, the link you provided returned an
    "error" message. Can you provide more information on how to reset the
    group? I'm not familiar with that.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Nov 2, 2006
  11. So install another news client and see if the problem shows there. This
    is called "the process of elimination".

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 2, 2006
  12. MaryL

    JANA Guest

    Try this:

    In OE: With the mouse, Right key-click on the newsgroup, select Properties.
    Then Select the tab Local File. Click on Reset.

    I am assuming that you have already checked that all the account newsgroups
    account information has been properly set up. Also, it may be a good idea to
    call your service provider, in case it is something on their end.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Nov 2, 2006
  13. MaryL

    Evan Platt Guest

    There's some humans we shuld get rid of to see if the world becomes a
    better place.

    Let's call it the process of elimination from the gene pool. :-D

    Evan Platt, Nov 2, 2006
  14. Right -- too many people pissin' in the pool. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 2, 2006
  15. MaryL

    Mike Easter Guest

    MaryL wrote:
    The problem you are describing is caused by a 'dysynchrony' between your
    OE's record of the articles and your newsserver's record of the
    articles.
    If OE and the newsserver's records were in synch, OE wouldn't be seeing
    and trying to get an article which wasn't there on the server. Whenever
    my OE gets out of synch with the newsserver I 'reset my pointers'. I do
    it with the 'Reset' button instead of the 'Delete' button where you
    describe.
    That's where I use Reset instead of Delete. Then I reload however many
    messages I need. The pointers/ markers/ of read and unread are lost of
    course.
    That's the part that is unusual, the early recurrence. It might be
    being caused by OE and it might be being caused by your newsserver.
    From your path it appears that you are using a HighWinds newsserver
    which is a reseller of news to various entities.
    http://www.highwinds-media.com/media/index.asp
    I've seen the problem happen in one form or another and it always clears
    up with Reset. Another different manifestation is when you don't see a
    message header which you know should be there.
    Apparently cox is buying their client's news access from HighWinds.

    Mike Easter, Nov 2, 2006
  16. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    That's what I plan to do. However, there are a *large* number of
    newsreaders, so I was asking for recommendations (and have received some).

    MaryL

    MaryL, Nov 2, 2006
  17. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    I have already done that. The problem is that it only "holds" for a day or
    two, and then I have to go through the process again. I have done this over
    and over again for newsgroups that I use frequently, and each time that also
    means that I lose the threads that I had marked for follow-up. I haven't
    contacted Cox (now SuddenLink) yet, but I do plan to do that. At the same
    time, I really would like to try another newsreader and am watching this NG
    for recommendations.

    Thanks,
    MaryL

    MaryL, Nov 2, 2006
  18. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    Yes, I have tried both Reset and Delete. I have received identical results
    (and the continuing problems) from each.
    I do occasionally notice some "missing" headers. Some are messages that I
    sent but which do no appear (but I can find them through google).

    I do plan to call tech support and ask about this. I will also ask about
    HighWinds. This problem is very recent, so I suppose it's also possible
    that their has been a recent change to HighWinds.

    MaryL, Nov 2, 2006
  19. MaryL

    Fred Guest

    Sorry it was an attempt to link to an announcement on the Cox support pages.
    The two announcements copied here and include instructions that I alluded
    to.

    First announcement
    Summary

    Cox is recognized as offering one of the best free Newsgroup services
    for our customers (unlike DSL and dial-up competitors that offer limited or
    no Newsgroup service). High-speed Internet customers who utilize newsgroup
    service will be able to experience a number of enhancements, including
    faster transfer speeds and longer storage of newsgroup posts.

    Content

    Cox is working with Highwinds, an industry leader in newsgroup
    management, to:

    a.. Increase retention by at least 30 days: Retention time for
    binary newsgroups is being increased from an average of 3 days to at least
    30 days. Text groups will have even longer retention.
    b.. Boost transfer speeds by more than 30%: Each Newsgroup user can
    utilize up to four connections to the server, and transfer speeds for each
    connection have been increased from up to 384 Kbps each to up to 512 Kbps
    each
    The new newgroup servers are available to all customer effective
    October 24, 2006. Customers that wish to experience Cox's new newsgroup
    capabilites can add the new server to their group list. The server address
    is either new.east.cox.net or news.west.cox.net, depending on where the
    customer resides.

    All newsgroup users should experience uninterrupted access to all
    newsgroups and the ability to enjoy all of the new enhancements.

    Note: Value Tier Customers will not experience any change to newsgroup
    speeds. Value customer desiring to see increased speeds for Usenet are
    encouraged to upgrade to our Premier Service.

    Second announcement

    Attention Cox Newsgroup Users:

    Reset your Group List for longer Retention and Faster Downloads per
    Connection

    Cox continues to offer Usenet for our customers, unlike many ISPs that offer
    limited or no Newsgroup service. And now Cox is making the following service
    enhancements available for our Newsgroup enthusiasts.

    a.. Retention is increasing to at least 30 days.
    Retention time for binary Newsgroups is being increased from an average of
    3 days to at least 30 days. Text groups have even longer retention!
    b.. Customers will enjoy over 30% faster downloads!
    Each Newsgroup user can utilize up to four connections to the server, and
    download speeds for each connection have been increased from up to 384 Kbps
    each to up to 512 Kbps each.
    Some users may need to reset their group list to take advantage of these
    enhancements and maintain uninterrupted access to Newsgroups. For example,
    Outlook Express users will need to unsubscribe and then re-subscribe to the
    Newsgroups. This only has to be done once.

    Here are step-by-step instructions on how to reset a Newsgroup list:

    1.. Open Outlook Express newsreader.
    2.. Right-click on the Group Name and left-click Properties from the menu.
    3.. Select the Local Files tab and click reset.
    Result: This will reset Newsgroups when the server changes.
    4.. Click OK to complete the reset sequence.
    Note: You will lose any read / unread posts using this method.

    Fred, Nov 2, 2006
  20. MaryL

    samuel Guest

    http://www.newsreaders.com/win/clients.html

    and there is a news reader news group to read also

    samuel, Nov 2, 2006