Connection printer to university department's network

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by Mark, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Hi,

    I'm in a university department, and our lab wants to connect a printer
    to the network so others in the department can print to it. While this
    is a tech job, getting the tech department to do it usually takes a long
    time and we get charged for their labour.

    I have seen print servers in the shops, eg, the Linksys 4-Port USB Print
    Server for $69.99.

    Would this work across the department's network? How difficult would it
    be to set up?

    I don't know much about networks, so wondering just how much is
    involved. Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Mark, Jan 20, 2006

  2. From: "Mark" <>

    < snip >

    | I don't know much about networks, so wondering just how much is
    | involved. Any advice would be appreciated.
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Mark

    If this is a University then a HP JetDirect print server would be best. PCs just print to
    the IP address.

    You can configure the Print Server initially via DNCP and then statically set and address
    via Telnet.

    There is no reason why a University should be using a Router with a built-in Print Server as
    the infrastructure is already in place. If it is a USB printer, get a JetDirect with USB.
    If the printer uses a parallel port then get a JetDirect with a parallel port.

    David H. Lipman, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Mark

    Rosco Guest

    David H. Lipman cried out
    If it's an HP Laser Jet, typically it has a slot for a print server
    to connect directly to the printer. What model is the printer?

    Rosco, Jan 20, 2006
  4. Mark

    roy Guest

    what operating system?
    is it an existing printer?

    my experience is limited. but if it is an existing printer for a
    computer on the network I would expect to simply set it to be shared on
    the computer it is attached to.

    if it is not currently connected to anything then you need some sort of
    server to connect to. it sounds like a single printer, so adding a
    device for ports would be redundant.

    see what I mean?

    roy, Jan 20, 2006
  5. From: "Rosco" <>

    | If it's an HP Laser Jet, typically it has a slot for a print server
    | to connect directly to the printer. What model is the printer?

    Yep, that would be an Internal JetDirect print Server.

    There are other non-laser models that do so as well. This includes inkjets such as the HP
    1100/1200 Business InkJet printer, HP 1170, etc.

    David H. Lipman, Jan 20, 2006
  6. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Sorry for the lack of details previously. The printer is a HP Laserjet
    2200D. According to my information, while a built-in print server is an
    option with these printers, this particular model doesn't have one.

    I did also note that you can get the HP Jetdirect print server for $250,
    but was wondering if the extra expense is justified or whether the print
    server I mentioned is just as good and HP are simply marking up the price.

    Mark, Jan 21, 2006
  7. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Yes, it's an existing printer, which is why I wasn't asking for which
    printer to buy. It is a HP Laserjet 2200D.

    I don't know why the operating system is relevant, as I thought
    different operating systems should all be able to access the same
    network printer. Most of the computers have Windows XP, but OSX and
    Linux functionality wouldn't hurt.

    We do have it attached to a computer at the moment, but we don't want
    the jobs to have to go through that computer. As I said, we need a print
    server. I think I got at least that bit right.

    Mark, Jan 21, 2006
  8. From: "Mark" <>

    | Sorry for the lack of details previously. The printer is a HP Laserjet
    | 2200D. According to my information, while a built-in print server is an
    | option with these printers, this particular model doesn't have one.
    |
    | I did also note that you can get the HP Jetdirect print server for $250,
    | but was wondering if the extra expense is justified or whether the print
    | server I mentioned is just as good and HP are simply marking up the price.

    No what you suggested isn't even close.

    HP610n -- $139.00
    http://www.memorysuppliers.com/hpje61j4prse.html

    David H. Lipman, Jan 21, 2006
  9. Mark

    Bob_M Guest

    Mark;

    If cost is your major concern then take a look at www.hawkingtech.com
    for their small print servers. I've used many of them on my own and
    customer networks for group printing and they're easy to set up and
    print to. Most are windows, linux, unix, mac compatiple. About $40
    USD.

    Set the IP per the supplied instructions and you're in business.

    Bob

    Bob_M, Jan 21, 2006
  10. Mark

    Rosco Guest

    Mark cried out
    I have a laserjet 2300d with the JetDirect 610n interntal print
    server. Works like a charm, very easy to configure. Eliminates the
    need for a deticated pc to run the shared printer. Every computer in
    the house can be off, I can get on my laptop wirelessly and still
    print. Best part, no slowdowns, and with the proper firmware, it
    will e-mail an admin (user set) any time an event occurs.... (paper
    out, paper jam, low toner, toner out, etc..)

    Rosco, Jan 21, 2006
  11. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Thanks. We are going ahead and ordering the HP Jetdirect. Cheers, and
    let's hope setup is as easy as claimed...

    Mark, Jan 21, 2006
  12. From: "Mark" <>

    | Thanks. We are going ahead and ordering the HP Jetdirect. Cheers, and
    | let's hope setup is as easy as claimed...

    Use DHCP and you'll get an intial address.

    Telnet to the device and you can then setup the device statically (preferred).

    Or you can http to the device as well.

    David H. Lipman, Jan 22, 2006