Connection Keeps Dropping

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Dave, Sep 26, 2005.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem with a DI-514.
    Basically up until yesterday, my wireless network was working fine.
    Yesterday, I had to disconnect and unplug the router while I was moving
    some stuff around. When I plugged everything back in, I couldn't
    connect to my wireless router (D-Link DI-514) anymore! I am able to
    get it to work whenever I power-cycle the router. But after about five
    minutes, I lose the signal again (and the WLAN light goes out too).
    I've tried re-updating the router firmware and my wireless card drivers
    (even though I already did that and had it working). I tried
    re-setting my router to factory defaults. I tried taking the router to
    a friend's house with a cable modem - same problem. I also tried
    changing channels on the router, I tried Channel 6 and 11 with no luck.

    Brief specs: Windows XP Pro. My connection is a T1 (dorm room - but
    the router works fine while hard-wired to my ethernet card, and I can
    connect to other wireless networks nearby). I have no problem
    accessing the Internet when connect my ethernet card (same computer) to
    a port on the router - I just can't access my router wirelessly here or
    at home. I'm thinking it must be some signal problem where the router
    stops broadcasting after a few minutes, but I can't figure out why this
    is happening all of the sudden when it was working a couple of days
    ago. I also know it's not my wireless card since I can connect to
    wi-fi networks on campus, just not my own.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Dave, Sep 26, 2005