connecting winxp to win95 for internet

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2004.

  1. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
    Sure...just ask Microsoft...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/directory/worldwide/en-gb/hnetwork.asp

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2004

  2. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | >| I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
    Oh - you'll have to set up the Win95 networking manually - the XP Home
    Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 5, 2004

  3. Toolman Tim

    Scraggy Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    Snip
    the XP Home
    PBKAC :)

    Scraggy, Sep 5, 2004
  4. Toolman Tim

    PC Guest

    Eli

    What you want is "Internet Connection Sharing"

    The hardware you will need is a Network card in each PC (probably already
    one in your XP box) and a 'Crossover' network cable.

    Then go Start,'Help and Support on your XP machine and enter 'ICS' into the
    search facility and have a good read. You should find all you need there.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Sep 5, 2004
  5. Toolman Tim

    Eli Aran Guest

    I was thinking of networking my new p4 2.4G winxppro computer
    with my son's old p1 win95 computer in order for him (win95)
    to get an internet connection from my computer
    because the lady from the cable company told me that it would be much
    cheaper this way rather than adding a second internet connection (wall
    television socket) from the company because I would then have to pay double
    for both connections to the internet.
    my question is will this work?
    what hardware/software will I need to install?
    and is this home-networking feasible?
    thank you for your supporting tips!

    Eli Aran, Sep 5, 2004
  6. Toolman Tim

    Eli Aran Guest

    Eli Aran, Sep 6, 2004
  7. Toolman Tim

    Eli Aran Guest

    Eli Aran, Sep 6, 2004
  8. Toolman Tim

    Eli Aran Guest

    what is PBKAC?

    Eli Aran, Sep 6, 2004
  9. Toolman Tim

    samuel Guest

    samuel, Sep 6, 2004
  10. Toolman Tim

    madmax Guest

    Here is a good place for info
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    -max

    --
    To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
    Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply by e-mail

    madmax, Sep 6, 2004
  11. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    control panel, network properties, install Windows Networking client, and
    install TC/PIP protocol

    An ption which would cost a little more, would be to purchase a cable modem
    router. Here's the two cable methods side by side:

    1) standard "crossover" network with two PCS requires 2 network cards and a
    crossover ethernet cable. (If your cable modem is coming in via ethernet,
    you will need another card. Configuring two cards in one PC can be
    troublesome sometimes.) Your cable modem goes to one ethernet card in XP
    computer, and the Windows 95 computer (using the crossover cable) plugs into
    the other one. While this should work, it is not allways the easiest to get
    running.

    2) "home network" method - cable modem connects to a cable modem router. The
    XP computer connects to the router, the W95 computer connects to the router.
    Simpler cabling, more reliable connections, AND it adds NAT security to your
    computer system. (NAT is network address translation - the "Internet" and/or
    hackers would see the router at the end of the cable modem instead of seeing
    your computers.)

    Personally, I'd spend the extra and get the router for the ease of
    connections and the added security.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 6, 2004
  12. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | what is the problem between my keyboard and my chair?
    I believe Scraggy was teasing me about posting back to my own post 'cause I
    had a "brain fart" - PBKAC - and had to add more info. I don't think it was
    directed at you. And you'll wanna put a thick skin on if you're gonna play
    in this newsgroup <g>

    Toolman Tim, Sep 6, 2004
  13. Toolman Tim

    Alex Fraser Guest

    Actually, I think it was the obviously wrong comment in your second post:
    "the XP Home Network Setup Wizard doesn't run on XP."

    (You presumably meant that it doesn't run on 95.)

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Sep 6, 2004
  14. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    No, he wasn't teasing YOU - he was laughing at MY error. (so am I, since I

    Toolman Tim, Sep 6, 2004
  15. Toolman Tim

    samuel Guest

    he was talking to someone else not you

    have you looked ? http://tinyurl.com/5xzpk

    http://tinyurl.com/6gqkw

    samuel, Sep 6, 2004
  16. Toolman Tim

    Eli Aran Guest

    what is the problem between my keyboard and my chair?
    is this supposed to help me SOLVE my networking problem?

    Eli Aran, Sep 6, 2004
  17. Toolman Tim

    Scraggy Guest

    :)

    Scraggy, Sep 6, 2004
  18. Toolman Tim

    Scraggy Guest

    Scraggy, Sep 6, 2004
  19. Toolman Tim

    Eli Aran Guest

    yes I know he was trying to tease me but I am seriously looking for a
    networking solution to connect the 95 comp to my xp.

    Eli Aran, Sep 6, 2004