Connecting upstairs PC to Broadband??

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by WipeOut, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. WipeOut

    WipeOut Guest

    Hi,

    No, this isn't as easy as you thought it would be.. :)

    I have tried wireless, have a Linksys WAG54G-UK broadband Wi-Fi router
    but for some reason the upstairs PC has a very intermittent connection
    and I have tried different channels and positions and nothing seems to
    help..

    So I am looking for an alternative..

    First option..

    There is a free phone line cable (probably not cat5) that is already run
    through the house and is close to both the broadband router (downstairs)
    and the second PC (upstairs)..

    If I stuck RJ45 connectors on each end and connected it to the
    ethernet ports would it work?

    Second option..

    I could look at a data over power line setup but from what I have seen
    these adapters are quite pricey..

    Anyone got any experience with these?
    Would this be a more viable solution than option one which would
    obviously be cheaper?

    Thanks for any input..

    WipeOut, Dec 23, 2004

  2. WipeOut

    Geoff Lane Guest

    The WiFi is probably still your best option.

    Do you know what your signal strength is, if you have XP hover the
    mouse over the network icon (Two TV type screens) and see what is
    says.

    WiFi can be tempremental, moving the access point a few feet can
    sometimes cure a bad signal. Also, the WiFi router aerial needs to
    point horizonal rather than the normal up as you want to project the
    signal up/down.
    Doubt it - different cable design but proper ethernet cable is not too
    pricey if it could follow the same route.

    Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane, Dec 23, 2004

  3. WipeOut

    Toy Guest

    what are distances

    upstairs to router
    downstairs to router
    what is TX (pmicia, mini pci, usb etc) for upstairs pc.

    Toy, Dec 23, 2004
  4. WipeOut

    WipeOut Guest

    Distance in a straight line is probably 15 - 20 meters at about a 30 to
    45 degree angle, I think the floor is concrete which I am sure doesn't
    help..

    PC is a new HP desktop that came with a PCI Wi-Fi card that uses an
    external antenna on about 1.5m of cable connected by a small screw on
    connector that looks like its made of brass..

    Longest connect is about 40min then got disconnected and couldn't
    reconnect..

    Speed constantly fluctuates between 1Mbps and 24Mbps..

    I even tried to make up one of the designs from www.freeantennas.com but
    the connection is still not stable..

    PC is running Windows XP, not sure if there are any settings that can be
    changed on the PC side to improve performance..

    Router doesn't have all that many Wi-Fi settings and nothing that looks
    like it will change the signal strength in any way..

    Thanks..

    WipeOut, Dec 23, 2004
  5. WipeOut

    Dave Stanton Guest

    Why cant you just run a cat5 cable between the 2 pc's ?.

    Dave

    Dave Stanton, Dec 23, 2004
  6. WipeOut

    Dave Stanton Guest

    Why cant you run a cat5 cable between the pc and the router ?

    Dave

    Dave Stanton, Dec 23, 2004
  7. WipeOut

    WipeOut Guest

    The spare telephone cable was put in between the upstairs and downstairs
    when the place was renovated and was run in and around all sorts of
    paneling and stuff so it would be impossible to run another cable through..

    Also I very much doubt that the phone cable could be used to pull a cat5
    cable through..

    So a wired connection would have to be done over that phone grade cable
    or over the power lines..

    Thanks.

    WipeOut, Dec 23, 2004
  8. changing channel may get you away from adjacent interference, try
    channel 1 as it has the lowest frequency = longest range and no
    overlap with channel 6 (a popular default). In the UK you can use up
    to channel 13.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Dec 23, 2004
  9. In message <41cafed9$0$32027$>, WipeOut <>
    wrote:

    There is a good chance it will. If it doesn't work at first try limiting the
    connection to 10Mbps.
    I read some time ago that someone had got 10baseT Ethernet working over
    telephone cable.

    We have a patch cable made out quad (4 cores, round, but not twisted pair)
    telephone cable, and a Cat5 patch withs split pairs, both of which work at
    100bps.

    Timothy Baldwin, Dec 23, 2004
  10. WipeOut

    mikeFNB Guest

    you will need 8 wires. phone lines only have 4

    what about reflectors on aerials bothends and what is the signal strength if
    you 'face' the remote aerial toward the router & say lay them all
    horizontally?
    i got very good results with a belkin card with a little externally
    'rubber-duck' on a magmount thingy.
    ie it's not screwed directly to the back of the wifi PC card but can be
    moved around on it's wire.

    what distance are you trying to achieve??

    mike

    mikeFNB, Dec 24, 2004
  11. It's worth a try. Proper Cat5 UTP cable has pairs of wires twisted
    together; see if your cable does. Don't choose pins at random: make sure
    that you use twisted pairs properly. If you do try, set at least one of
    the NICs to work at 10Mbps (not 100Mbps or auto-sense).

    If the cable run is not too convoluted, you could replace it by Cat5
    cable.

    A cabled network is always more reliable than wireless.

    HTH,

    Michael Salem, Dec 24, 2004
  12. WipeOut

    Dave Stanton Guest

    You cant run it down the outside of the building and come through the
    walls ?. Not that difficult.

    Dave

    Dave Stanton, Dec 24, 2004
  13. WipeOut

    WipeOut Guest

    Agree that cat 5 cable has 8 wires but for ethernet networking you only
    need 4 (pins 1,2,3 and 6)..
    I have tried a reflector on the upstairs PC which helped and made the
    connection stay up longer but it still dropped after a while..
    Thats what I have on the upstairs PC..
    About 15-20m in a straight line, at an angle of about 30-40 degrees
    passing through a concrete floor and a wall or two..

    WipeOut, Dec 24, 2004
  14. WipeOut

    Chris Harris Guest

    If you're only using .11g cards for your wireless, have you changed
    the router's setting to 801.11g from "mixed"? That may help.

    And it's probably worth checking that the wireless card in your
    PC has its channel *explicitly* set to the same value that the WAG54G
    is using - have a look in the properties for the wireless adaptor.
    From personal experience with the same router it's amazing what a
    difference that can make. My setup is similar: the router's
    downstairs, and two PCs connected to it are upstairs.

    How does the router perform under a load? Mine seems to sit in
    a lower power state when you're not putting a lot through it -
    once I start downloading files or surfing the net, the transmission
    rate jumps from 36Mbps to 48 or 54Mbps.

    Finally, some versions of the router firmwars seem more stable
    than others. If you've still got the WAG54g, what firmware version
    have you got on it? (It's shown on the setup screen in the top RH
    corner.)

    Best,
    Chris

    Chris Harris, Dec 24, 2004
  15. WipeOut

    WipeOut Guest

    No I haven't tried that, its still on mixed.. In fact I was thinking of
    setting it to 802.11b thinking that the lower data rate may be more stable..
    I haven't tried that either, I figures if it was making a connection,
    even a bad one, that the channel would be fine..

    Even with no load the speed fluctuates between 12Mbps and 24Mbps but
    often all the way down to 1Mbps..
    I looked on the Linksys site but couldn't see any updated firmware..
    Where do you get the updated firmware from?

    WipeOut, Dec 24, 2004
  16. WipeOut

    dylan Guest

    Sounds similar to my setup and the house walls are all lined with foil lined
    plasterboard, gave up with wireless and fitted a CAT5.

    I did consider fitting part CAT5, ie upstairs PC to the wireless point above
    the required downstairs room, as it's difficult going through the ceiling
    with a cable, but didn't pursue it.

    dylan, Dec 24, 2004
  17. WipeOut

    Chris Harris Guest

    stable..

    You could try that, too - but if you've bought an .11g router
    I'd try all the possibilities with that first...
    I found it made quite a difference. Give it a go - it's not
    difficult to check.
    That's what mine was doing when the card and the router were set
    to different channels.

    Just a thought: if you have a DECT cordless phone, is it close to
    the router? If you have one, try moving them further apart...
    I wouldn't recommend updating the firmware until you've tried
    everything else. A lot of people have had more trouble after
    upgrading than they had before. For instance, you might want
    to have a read here:
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=205861&p=12
    or here:
    http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1038&PN=1&TPN=2

    Open your router's admin page by putting its IP address in
    your web browser - it'll be set to 192.168.1.1 if you haven't
    changed it. Then just look at the top right hand side of the
    screen. That tells you what version firmware you've got.

    I'm running something like 1.01.6 and while it doesn't do
    everything I want, I'm sticking with it until a stable
    upgrade comes out or Linksys let Sveasoft write a proper
    version for them...

    best,
    Chris

    Chris Harris, Dec 24, 2004
  18. WipeOut

    Lurch Guest

    <pisstake>
    Ooh, shalI do the 'risk of lightening strike' post?
    </pisstake>

    Lurch, Dec 24, 2004
  19. WipeOut

    Dave Stanton Guest

    I was waiting for one of those <G> Happy New Year Lurch

    Dave

    Dave Stanton, Dec 26, 2004
  20. WipeOut

    Lurch Guest