Connecting to win2k Server with Windows 7 Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows Networking' started by Bruce, Apr 12, 2010.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    I cannot connect to a Win2k Server (which is also a domain) from a Windows 7
    Ultimate computer.

    The name exists on the Win2k Server and
    I CAN logon with name and password from any other XP computer.

    net use z: \\servername\folder /user:domain\John hispassword

    gives me: System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied.

    Based on info I found elsewhere:
    LmCompatibilityLevel is set to 1
    Lan Manager Authentication Level "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session
    security if negotiated"
    Network Discovery is enabled
    File and print sharing is on
    Password protected sharing is off
    Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers
    128 bit encryption is off
    Network access: Allow anonymous SID/name translation
    Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users
    Network access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares
    Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts
    Network access: Do not allow anonymous enumeration of SAM accounts and
    shares

    Thanks.

    Bruce, Apr 12, 2010

  2. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    I can also connect to the win2k server with microsoft Virtual PC from the
    Windows 7 computer.
    But I shouldn't have to do this, I should be able to connect from the
    windows 7 session.

    Thanks.

    Bruce, Apr 13, 2010

  3. From what you've posted, it appears fine, unless you've changed something that I am not seeing at first glance.

    To also better help, please post an ipconfig /all from the domain controller and from the Windows 7 machine. This will help us evaluate any basic DNS and other info the ipconfig provides to come up with a diagnosis. Also provide any Event log EventID# errors you see on the client side and the DC.

    Thank you,

    --
    Ace

    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

    Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

    Ace Fekay, MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

    If you feel this is an urgent issue and require immediate assistance, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

    Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT], Apr 14, 2010
  4. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Hello Ace,

    In your other response:

    "One thing I would like to point out, is that Windows 7 Home cannot be
    upgraded to Ultimate. It would be a complete and clean reinstall, which I
    assume is what you meant."

    We purchased a Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade, entered the product key and the
    upgrade was downloaded and installed via internet. The process did not take
    long. If by clean reinstall you mean installing the os from scratch, then
    this didn't happen. I mentioned this to microsoft tech support before these
    posts and they basically ignored it and suggested I go to the forums or pay
    for professional tech support.

    Are you sure you need to do a clean reinstall?

    Thanks.

    From what you've posted, it appears fine, unless you've changed something

    Bruce, Apr 15, 2010
  5. From all the years that I've worked with various operating system versions, the "Home" versions were never allowed to be upgraded to any other non-Home versions, such as Professional, Business or Ultimate.

    Also, when upgrading, lots of things are still active in the background from the previous installation.

    I *always* opt for a clean installation to eliminate any variables.

    Ace

    Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT], Apr 15, 2010
  6. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    When we purchased the upgrade however no media was given, they only sent a
    product key. Do you know if we would be entitled to the media, or how I can
    do a clean install with just the product key? Also I believe the original
    version was Windows 7 Home Premium if that makes a difference.

    Thanks.

    From all the years that I've worked with various operating system versions,

    Bruce, Apr 16, 2010
  7. Hi Bruce,

    I had to lookup the available upgrade paths from Microsoft regarding WIndows 7. Apparently it is now supported to go from a Home version to Professional or Ultimate.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx

    Even thought it is supported, I would still opt for a fresh installation.

    As far as being entitled to the media, that would be something you must discuss with where you bought it. I would imagine the product key is sufficient to change it. If they gave you the Home media, you should still be able to use the Ultimate PID to install it as Ultimate. That's basically how Windows 2008 works. It is one media, but the PID determines the version.

    I would contact them for more info.

    Ace

    Ace Fekay [MVP-DS, MCT], Apr 16, 2010