    details of the Airport network, but it still won't list it as available.
    I have been using Apple computers only for years and unfortunately have not
    kept up with Windows. Can anyone steer me the right way, please?

    Guest, Oct 15, 2007

  2. Guest

    Gerard Bok Guest

    Let me guess:
    Apple's Airport is an 802.11a type network (5 GHz) ?
    Your notebook supports 802.11b & 802.11g (2.4 GHz) ?

    Then, you have an incompatibility that is not easy to solve :)
    (As far as I know, at least :)

    Gerard Bok, Oct 15, 2007

  3. Guest

    Barb Bowman Guest

    is the Airport broadcasting the SSID or is it hidden? Is there an
    active wireless NIC in network adapters in Device Manager? Is there
    a driver installed?

    IS there a hardware or software switch to turn on the wireless?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Oct 15, 2007
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Barb & Gerard, but in the meantime I tried reloading XP (Service Pack
    2) from the CD-ROM and selected "Upgrade" and when it finished loading,
    everything just simply worked!
    Windows, whatever it's perceived shortcomings, has dramatically improved
    since the last time I used it in the notorious "Blue screen of death" years.
    Although I understand Vista is going through the usual teething problems, I
    would gladly run this XP (SP2) with the new Mac OS X Leopard when it comes
    out - my previously limited software/accessory options are going to be
    awesome!

    With appreciation,

    Guest, Oct 16, 2007
  5. Guest

    Barb Bowman Guest

    thanks for the update. glad it is working!

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Oct 16, 2007