Connecting to a PC Anywhere host via VPN from inside a Pix

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by memeymoeme, Nov 4, 2005.

  1. memeymoeme

    memeymoeme Guest

    I have a rather perplexing problem and I am hoping someone might be able to
    help.

    Objective: I need to connect to an outside PC Anywhere host via a VPN tunnel
    from inside a Pix firewall.

    Software: PC Anywhere version 10.5 and 11.5, Cisco VPN client version 4.6.03

    Our corporate firewall: Cisco Pix

    I have no trouble establishing the VPN tunnel to the remote site (it takes about
    30 seconds) but once the tunnel is established, the CISCO VPN client indicates
    that I am sending data but not receiving data.

    Outside of my Pix firewall I have absolutely no trouble establishing the VPN
    tunnel and connecting to the PC Anywhere host. For this reason, I believe the
    problem is at my end and with my PIX configuration.

    Any guesses as what the problem may be?

    Thank you,
    Doug

    memeymoeme, Nov 4, 2005

  2. :Objective: I need to connect to an outside PC Anywhere host via a VPN tunnel
    :from inside a Pix firewall.

    :Software: PC Anywhere version 10.5 and 11.5, Cisco VPN client version 4.6.03

    :Our corporate firewall: Cisco Pix

    :I have no trouble establishing the VPN tunnel to the remote site (it takes about
    :30 seconds) but once the tunnel is established, the CISCO VPN client indicates
    :that I am sending data but not receiving data.

    That could happen if the ip dynamic pool range that is being assigned
    to the VPN client is "inside" the firewall instead of being in
    a different range that is routed to the outside interface (either
    specifically or via the default route.)

    Trying to use an inside IP range for the dynamic pools bites everyone
    at least once ;-)

    Walter Roberson, Nov 4, 2005

  3. memeymoeme

    memeymoeme Guest

    Hello Walter,

    Thank you very much for your valued input. I believe we are in the same city
    too! :)

    I believe you are correct about my problem. Originally I thought it was a NAT
    Transversal thing.

    I am only three months into this CISCO having previously done everything on a
    Linux box. So I will try to translate what you have stated into what I need to
    do with my configuration to correct this. Can you perhaps give me some tips just
    in case I stumble?

    I just purchased a Learnkey course so hopefully sometime this month I can
    finally get a clue as to what the heck I am doing! :-]

    Doug

    memeymoeme, Nov 8, 2005