Connecting routers via serial port

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Sam Huggill, Mar 5, 2005.

  1. Sam Huggill

    Sam Huggill Guest

    Hi,

    I've got two Cisco routers and they are currently connected to each other
    via ethernet port 0/0 with a crossover cable and they are happily
    communicating.

    I now want to replicate this using the serial ports - I have the
    appropriate cable connected between the two serial interfaces and I have
    configured an IP address for each port (a different subnet to the ethernet
    ports). I have issued the "no shutdown" command to both interfaces.

    After saving the configuration both routers report that the lines are up
    and working - but when I ping nothing gets through and about 5 seconds
    later one of the routers serial interface says "line protocol down". I'm
    using HDLC encapsulation (only because it is the default).

    Any ideas on what is going wrong?

    Thanks,
    Sam

    Sam Huggill, Mar 5, 2005

  2. Sam Huggill

    Toby Guest

    Are you using a crossover cable?
    Have you set a clock-rate statement on the DCE serial interface to supply
    the clock?

    Toby

    Toby, Mar 5, 2005