Connecting PC to PC

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Trevor Appleton, Dec 25, 2003.

  1. I wish to connect 2 PC's together at home via a crossover cable.

    I have done it before but my son managed to break the cable twice in the
    door, so I'm now on to my third cable. Its over a year ago since I had them
    working and I remember many hours of angst trying to get them to connect
    together.(Yes once I get them speaking I'll do something with the cable, but
    not sure what)

    I have an Ethernet adapter in each.

    My machine has had a hard disk crash since they both connected. My sons
    shouldn't have changed.

    His network settings show:

    Adapter: Client for Microsoft Networs
    Adapter: Dial up adapter
    Protocol: Ethernet Adapter
    Protocol: NetBeui
    Protocol: TCP/IP dial up
    Protocol: TCP/IP Ethernet Adapter
    File and Printer Sharing

    Primary Network Logon

    Windows Log on

    The main change since I last got them connected is I use BT Home Highway
    ISDN on my PC.

    Can anyone give me simple intructions to connect them up?

    Trevor Appleton, Dec 25, 2003

  2. Trevor Appleton

    Jay Guest

    Which windows versions are you using?

    jay

    Jay, Dec 25, 2003

  3. Windows 98

    Have now got my sons PC 'seeing' mine but not the other way round. My shared
    folders show up on the network on my PC.

    Is there any way of getting rid of the windows logon on windo. I don't want
    to log on to the network?

    Trevor Appleton, Dec 25, 2003
  4. Have ZoneAlarm installed

    Trevor Appleton, Dec 26, 2003
  5. Trevor Appleton

    geep Guest

    Is there any way of getting rid of the windows logon on windo. I don't
    want
    You could try using TWEAKUI.
    It doesn't get rid of the Windows logon, but does allow you to store the
    answer to the USER/PASSWORD question so that the login is automatic; you
    don't need to type anything
    each time you boot.
    It's free to download from Microsoft at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WUToys/W95PwrToysSet/D
    efault.asp
    I know that it says Windows 95, but I have installed it on several Win 98
    machines without problems.

    geep, Dec 26, 2003
  6. Trevor Appleton

    geep Guest

    geep, Dec 26, 2003
  7. Trevor Appleton

    geep Guest

    geep, Dec 26, 2003
  8. Thanks. I just spent 20 mins searching and also found that!

    Trevor Appleton, Dec 26, 2003
  9. Having downloaded it, it unzips to a temporary file, and then I can't work
    out how to run it?

    Trevor Appleton, Dec 26, 2003

  10. I anticipated that something of the sort should be necessary, but can't see
    any way of setting it up?

    Trevor Appleton, Dec 26, 2003
  11. Having now installed TweakUI what do I do with it?

    Trevor Appleton, Dec 26, 2003
  12. Trevor Appleton

    Rob Morley Guest

    Somewhere in the options is something like "Log on to the network
    automatically"

    Rob Morley, Dec 26, 2003

  13. Got it

    Thanks

    Trevor Appleton, Dec 26, 2003
  14. Trevor Appleton

    geep Guest

    Make sure that you have the address of the 'other' PC declared as
    Trusted
    1/ If both PCs run ZA, need to configure ZA on both PCs.
    2/ Before you start, need to know the IP addresses of each PC.
    Probably you have set them to something like 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
    3/ Then follow the example here:
    http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/pipexdsl/s/asdk90/tappleton/

    geep, Dec 26, 2003

  15. Many thanks Geep. Have done that but sadly still have the same prob. i.e
    can see my PC from the other but not the second one from here

    Trevor

    Trevor Appleton, Dec 26, 2003
  16. I'm assuming I put the IP address of the other PC on this opne and vice
    versa and not both on both?

    Trevor Appleton, Dec 26, 2003
  17. ZA Not on PC2.

    Have made changes to ZA on this one but still can't see thoe other.

    Trevor Appleton, Dec 26, 2003
  18. Trevor Appleton

    geep Guest

    Yes.
    If the 2 PCs are 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2,0
    then allow .1 see .2, and .2 to see .1 in ZA setup.

    geep, Dec 26, 2003
  19. Trevor Appleton

    SantaUK Guest

    Find the folder its in, right click on the inf file and choose install, and
    then go into control panel and its there.

    --
    Regards

    SantaUK
    Mail me at:
    arjf (ng) zzvyyne (qbg) pb (qbg) hx <=== ROT13
    Use http://andrewu.co.uk/tools/rot13/ to convert to readable format

    SantaUK, Dec 27, 2003