Connecting PC and Xbox via wireless network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by flyingapothecary, Feb 3, 2009.

  1. Hi,

    My son recently got an Xbox360 and is trying to get it connected to our PC's
    on our wireless network at home in order to play multiplayer games

    The Xbox is able to access the internet and the Xbox Live servers but cannot
    see or communicate with the PC's that are on the same network....

    We are connected to the internet via a static IP wireless broadband through
    a GNET IP0004 router and an GWL 2100 wireless access point

    We have 4 PC's running on the wireless network along with a networked printer

    The router has issued unique IP addresses for each device including the Xbox
    and the MAC for the Xbox shows in the client list of the router

    Windows Media Player 11 sees the Xbox in the Media Sharing dialog but cannot
    access the Xbox and vice-versa

    Ping to the xbox from the PC fails

    There are no antivirus / firewall / internet protection services running at
    present and all specified ports are available to the xbox

    am I missing something? aren't Xboxes supposed to act just like a PC on the
    network?

    I tried using the windows connect now but it wants to set up an encrypted
    password which would freeze out the other devices including the printer from
    accessing the network

    any xbox networking gurus out there? the Xbox support service can't get
    it's head around the fact that I am trying to communicate from Xbox to PC,
    not Xbox to internet (which works okay)

    thanks!

    flyingapothecary, Feb 3, 2009